Nathan's motorcycles.....

flyingbrick

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Installed some Oxford heated grips- the grips and controller/wiring is all quite nice but the included tube of superglue is a complete waste of time as both grips came loose before I'd left the drive. 

These are not like regular grips and have a hard plastic inner sleeve which does not shrink against the bars like usual.

I pulled the grips off again, roughed up the bars and plastic sleeve, then glued in place with a thick smear of liquid nails. Completely the wrong application for that glue but it seems to stick like shit to anything and everything, and the grips sure don't feel like they are ever going to move now. 

Let's hope the glue doesn't soften with heat..  Lol. 

The controller has some voltage sensing thing too. Its connected direct to the battery but will not operate unless the motor is running. Guessing they need a minimum of 13v or something to turn on.  This is a great feature because I'd say they could drain a battery pretty quick if the motor wasn't going. 

IMG20210319173847_copy_1200x1600.thumb.jpg.3fa736a1adfba11dd996e90211001423.jpg

IMG20210510203055_copy_1600x1200.thumb.jpg.953c504235f378d50a1a66fe8e7179a2.jpgIMG20210510203101_copy_1200x1600.thumb.jpg.474bc03f4346c23bd2a3c5deaf71fec6.jpg

Check out the huge factory bar end weights which screw into the solid aluminium bars. They entire handlebar plate thing is also rubber isolated-lots of consideration given to comfort and one of the many reasons they are a bit tubby. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, anglia4 said:

I had to liquid nails the grips onto my last bike too to get them to stay. 

I was glad I sold the bike before ever having to replace the grips...

Yeah I'm just happy I found something to stick them down securely. The Inner sleeve is a shit greasy plastic that the superglue had zero adhesion to. It just flakes off. 

I think I'd have died of old age before these grips will need replacing from wear, knock on wood lolololol

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jessemk2 said:

On my dirt bikes I glue and wire tie them on.

They can still twist from holy shit hope this isn't going to end bad (holding on for dear life)

they have like a double wall construction so tie wireing them on doesnt really work, they are way thicker than normal grips

• Like 1

yea the oxford ones aren't that thick but i too had trouble with the superglue. i listened to the internet and used gorilla glue as its rated for heaps of heat and expands as it dries so makes a real tight fit. just need to cut them off when the wear. The sportbike ones that you have are the same as mine, they do actually wear quite quick but all the other designs were too long for my bike.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tortron said:

they have like a double wall construction so tie wireing them on doesnt really work, they are way thicker than normal grips

I did see a comment from someone that these have a groove for tie wire, but I think I may have used that groove as a cut guide when I trimmed the ends off. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...