Faulty Makita Angle Grinder (repair?)

~Slideways~

Has anyone ever tried repairing broken power tools? My 5ish year old Makita Angle Grinder suddenly started vibrating and smoked within a few seconds.

Bit weird since I was only cutting some panel steel, maybe a 15cm length.  It hasn't had a huge amount of use either.

It feels like a bearing has failed but I took it apart and couldn't feel any play on either end. It is a significant vibration too. The smoke must have come from the black plastic spacer thing in the photo below. 

Put it back together and tried it, instant vibration and burning smell.

I'd estimate there is about 70% left on the brushes so wouldn't have thought its that.

You can get similar models for $145 now so I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to fix it.

Mostly annoyed it didn't last that long especially since I replaced my old Ryobi with the 'better' Makita and that Ryobi still has some life left in it (annoying to use though because the lock button broke) and that must be WELL over 10 years old.

t7WYJ0DqaWcMdBMa1klubTP0nUK4kTaxsZdacV5CM068hRLt7iYfr7rSVh83lHsR5ZGeRUEnWvSdj_tHaYKdEolPVss14e2MP3PIUooyxk2aI9hgyvHNb_DG0Zy41ZAdeSD-MFwZniQ9_ALhv9d1h6cizRE3AYOa80keiplF8CY7XY-tomS-G2uSXRbbnomRdhcEAEk0nZoVPKoZDEVzCE9hIZA84EUfg3bjXL5yA5gNyEvlzc1CR4YFiaqtG6K27YPq5SQrMuqAxo44yR-8cosjVBybiL_nIbw_428NT9kTC5Yi6rEMDxEoOPq5PomrxyY9cToCD0n9vJqbZ9IiLBc8nDrjxK3hxeTbYBXEmbvMU-yoZ3nlI-b53jbohBehQjPP7J45iF9D0R2FfM-lhfDu7r9DMOlorNi9gE0fZePnBLb5VR6i88cWz6ER3Jpk1SAvV-OF8I9spLF6WXh4wrR8SJQBu7u8nFygjh_GTOKZa1OnK5EoM0V-C3AFjtOVRG0rjljhvQFPIn-1OhAMadJtd7_AvPUj7aETbE5Qifl6mbZrxAQHrqjdbgz9pN2aiVZo5LUIqNupgJ6l0SrmGJmdSbaxPknZE1EjpyEj5TdWxKDYBcAqvJbSTAbZN7JY7DnI6qCZD1KT8STSOMV-bRSU9Kaub-jT98LaepO_R7bgdQXrg9QUoQAMFMpyT0Y=w757-h1009-no?authuser=0

18 hours ago, UTERUS said:

Yea needs new armature, what model is it?

You could send it to me in Taupo but I'm prob not much cheaper than your local service agent.

Thread jack,

I scavenged a makita die grinder from a skip at work. (It reportedly failed a test, but the workshop guys said it went fine, and hadn't done that much work)

Barry Bart scavenged it. However the switch has failed to bits. The model tag has fallen off too. Any chance you could supply a replacement from a photo?