L200 gearbox swap help

gingerninja

Got a 1986 L200 4x4 petrol 2.0 litre 4 speed manual and want to fit a 5 speed out of a 1990 4x4  2.6 petrol. Is this a straight swap over 

Are both of these motors wide blocks

Are they the same length including the transfer case

will the drive shafts fit

are the clutches the same.

thx in advance

3 hours ago, johnny.race said:

@gingerninjaHey bro ... I see this is your first post. Usually (for any prick with a sense of decorum) new posters introduce themselves/tell fibs at our front door in 'Introduce yourself' - prior to heading to the shed and having at it. Just saying.

So you don't know so you start calling people names?.

3 hours ago, johnny.race said:

@gingerninjaHey bro ... I see this is your first post. Usually (for any prick with a sense of decorum) new posters introduce themselves/tell fibs at our front door in 'Introduce yourself' - prior to heading to the shed and having at it. Just saying.

I think that 4g54 box has different spline to 4g63. You also need to measure the distance between the dowels on the block (wide block and narrow block) I think most 4g5g are wide. Other than that they should interchange

Thanks guys. I measured the blocks today. The 2.6 is wide and the 2.0 is narrow so that's the end of that idea.

Would anyone know if the 2.6 2wd gearbox can be turned into a 4wd one by removing the tail housing and bolting on the transfer case?. 

yea that's always the problem with second hand stuff. At least you can remove the bottom pan and have a good look inside first. Plently of 2wd boxes around but no 4wd. Was hoping it would be a simple job to sway the transfer case over. The output shaft could be too long though. 

Thanks for your help. Ended up pulling the gearbox apart and found the problem. Just got to put it back together now lol. Off on holiday soon so it's going to have to wait a week. Here's some links I found that might be useful for someone.

How to rebuild a KM-132 gearbox

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=148661

Don't believe what you read on the nett. Not all 4WD are wide block. Here's some info about the motors/engines

http://projectzerog.com/transmissions.shtml