Gavs Eunos Roadster

~Slideways~

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, shrike said:

I've come across these too, super cheap stuff. Without doing much research the general consensus I'd found was that the speeduino lacked a lot of functions. At first I was very surprised how cheap they sounded and was super keen. I'll have a read through those links and make a more informed decision.

Just now, Dell'orto said:

Part it out, I need tail lights :-D

How's it for rust? They seem quite shit for it for a "modern" jap car, guess the soft tops don't help that. 

Very little I've found so far, in weird places though like that window pillar. But the rest of the door and assembly has no rust at all. The drain holes are all totally rust free. In the boot there is no carpet and the only rust I could find is a little surface rust under the plastic battery tray. Possibly from battery acid, these have those weird vented ones.

If you need tail lights the guy near me parts them out a lot. He could have some? Good prices so far. 

20 minutes ago, nzstato said:

Following, keen for one for a project I have in the back of his head.

Workmate is having a 'my long time GF and I separated' crisis and went out and bought one...

I've driven a couple and even the standard ones with soft suspension are heaps of fun, gear change is great.

My dad has had a couple, one supercharged and one turbocharged both with a Link ECU probably a G3 I'd guess. So the temptation to turbo charge it is definitely there. But then a need a run around for the run around project. I am also now in a pretty decent driveway shuffle situation.

Also can’t believe we are onto the 2nd page of an Mx5 thread and no one has questioned your sexuality ... 

mine is eunos also 1989 and nope only rust so far is light surface rust on the unpainted tube behind the dash 

Just now, Transom said:

Also can’t believe we are onto the 2nd page of an Mx5 thread and no one has questioned your sexuality ... 

mine is eunos also 1989 and nope only rust so far is light surface rust on the unpainted tube behind the dash 

20 buck is 20 bucks

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, Transom said:

How much is speeduino pnp ? Cos 1100 for a megasquirt makes link look cheap at not much more 

$240 USD assembled and it looks like it has an inbuilt MAP.

EDIT: yes it has an inbuilt sensor for 1bar of boost. Not a lot as you'd normally need a bit of head room for boost spikes, but it can run external.

Bloody tempting.

• Like 1

Just now, Transom said:

Faaaaaaaag. 

Unrelated, one of the biggest/quickest growing project threads back in the day was an MX5, @tortron might remember whose that was. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Link to thread mentioned -  ? 
they are easy to work on - cheap and any issue has been worked around and a quick google will give the facts on how to fix it 

And they are very fun to drive as a slow car fast around corners 

• Like 2

Just now, ~Slideways~ said:

Looks like pretty much everything on that speeduino site is out of stock unfortunately.

Give them an email, they are generally pretty helpful, ive also brought a teensy powered setup off one of the guys on the speeduino forum (they also sell kits etc off the forum)

What features are you after, only things off the top of my head it doesn't do is super fancy variable valve timing (vvt and standard vtec etc is fine (on/off)) and no knock control without additional modules. But the code keeps advancing so may have changed. They are great bang for buck on cylinders and can even do full sequential fuel and ignition (4cylinder) also base maps for mx5 are plentyful so you don't need to start from scratch

• Like 2

I've emailed the Aus Speeduino site to ask about availability. Quite keen to solder one myself to keep it cheaper and just use a donor mx5 ecu case and plug.

I don't even have a working battery and I'm researching ecu's...wtf is wrong with me?

• Haha 1

That's a nice setup. What is it though, a Speeduino board? In my quick look at the site on my phone it didn't seem to mention firmware/software. 

E: Further digging confirms it is Speeduino based but he is real cagey about answering questions when the word Speeduino is involved.