Gavs Eunos Roadster

~Slideways~

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone sent me a screenshot of your discussion regarding a 1.5l ZL-VE vvt head on the b6 block. Well, I did it and will say it is a lot of hassle. Fun learning process but heaps of work. I've got videos of it running, currently sitting nfg in the garage due to lack of funds/time/motivation. I've got a second head sitting nearby which was going to get new valves, cams sent for regrind etc.

If you are actually interested in the process there are so many things I learned along the way which I wish I knew before I started and would be happy to share.

It took 4age itb's to replace the intake which faces the wrong way, new exhaust manifold because the stock one points straight down, new cooling setup as it was fwd, all wiring was different, oil feed had to be changed from the one in this picture too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11gpFfCK5PV8uKShx7Vq8-_dCq--VkD4v/view?usp=sharing

Note in the video that the low idle screw was unwinding hence why it starts bogging. It was also not tuned at all.

Running it on a Speeduino too, UA4C from WTMtronics.

Thanks guys, definitely an option having a reg/pump setup.

Also brazing an outlet onto the bike fuel rail.

Alternatively once I am decent at Fusion 360 I could try make the factory injector port into the 3d printed manifold/adapter.

On that, amazingly I found a someone has uploaded a GrabCAD model of the intake manifold for the 1.6 'Miata'. This saves heaps of time. The format was a SLDPRT which the free version of Fusion 360 cannot import, so I used the desktop version of GrabCAD workbench to save it as a few different formats.

A STEP file format worked and I had something usable in Fusion 360.

I was playing around with Fusion 360, what an awesome tool!

Spent about 1.5hrs playing around with it and had something resembling an adapter to fit the bike ITB's. Then the laptop/fusion crashed lol... 

This is what it looked like when it froze and didn't come back. oh well... good practice.

20210909_215950.thumb.jpg.135722d7c92a1a4ac9a09a48059c578e.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Themi said:

Someone sent me a screenshot of your discussion regarding a 1.5l ZL-VE vvt head on the b6 block. Well, I did it and will say it is a lot of hassle. Fun learning process but heaps of work. I've got videos of it running, currently sitting nfg in the garage due to lack of funds/time/motivation. I've got a second head sitting nearby which was going to get new valves, cams sent for regrind etc.

If you are actually interested in the process there are so many things I learned along the way which I wish I knew before I started and would be happy to share.

It took 4age itb's to replace the intake which faces the wrong way, new exhaust manifold because the stock one points straight down, new cooling setup as it was fwd, all wiring was different, oil feed had to be changed from the one in this picture too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11gpFfCK5PV8uKShx7Vq8-_dCq--VkD4v/view?usp=sharing

Note in the video that the low idle screw was unwinding hence why it starts bogging. It was also not tuned at all.

Running it on a Speeduino too, UA4C from WTMtronics.

Awesome! The head looks so narrow in the engine bay! 

Really interested to see what sort of performance gain you get when its tuned. I'll persevere with the B6 head for now, funny though because the ZL and ZM heads could basically be like a majorly ported B6. I've seen the gasket comparisons of port size and its huge!

EDIT: you should make a build thread about your car?

The head really is tiny, ports are massive and port angle is a bit steeper.

I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll leave it at this photo, but it's my favorite one showing just how compact the zlve head is! Not having the front waterneck was big too, as well as no AC and manual rack.

received_615809609187224.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ~Slideways~ said:

Fuck yeah! I wonder how much effect the VVT will have?

Really tough to say.

ZLVE has 96kW@7000rpm 141Nm@4000rpm with 1.5L and 9.4:1 comp
B6DE has 90kW@6500rpm 136Nm@5500rpm with 1.6L and 9.4:1 comp

My thinking was that higher displacement with the benefits of the ITB's and VVT will pull that peak torque lower, which is by far my biggest complaint of the 1.6L mx5. Additional responsiveness would be nice.

Your gsxr ITB setup will be cool - bike throttles are probably the way to go and those look to be a very good bore size for the engine. I can attest the Speeduino is a good platform with lots of support. Look forward to seeing where that car goes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Themi said:

Really tough to say.

ZLVE has 96kW@7000rpm 141Nm@4000rpm with 1.5L and 9.4:1 comp
B6DE has 90kW@6500rpm 136Nm@5500rpm with 1.6L and 9.4:1 comp

My thinking was that higher displacement with the benefits of the ITB's and VVT will pull that peak torque lower, which is by far my biggest complaint of the 1.6L mx5. Additional responsiveness would be nice.

Your gsxr ITB setup will be cool - bike throttles are probably the way to go and those look to be a very good bore size for the engine. I can attest the Speeduino is a good platform with lots of support. Look forward to seeing where that car goes.

Just the fact that the 1.5L makes more power and more torque (earlier) is a good sign.

Will the head change the compression ratio?

10 minutes ago, chris r said:

Honda k series Injectors 

Awesome thanks for that, I'll hopefully be able to do some measuring tonight.

• Like 3

On 10/09/2021 at 14:45, chris r said:

Honda k series Injectors 

Overall length about 65mm

Measured the jzx100/1jz injectors and they are about 10mm longer than those Honda ones. So not much in it, the stock bike ones must be super short.

But it'll be easy enough to make up some spacers for the mounts or to lengthen the mounts.

Also, turns out that the fuel rails are a mirror image of each other so if I turn the 'back' rail around, the mounts line up fine with the 'front/main' fuel rail position, giving me an inlet and an outlet. So all I need is an inline regulator.

You can see here that the mounts at the back in different positions, but its just a reversed/flipped rail. Bonus!

20210911_143326.jpg.daff11ec1d2409e73cdc79c31ff783aa.jpg

The squirty end does sit a little far back though, will have to test and see if its a problem. These Toyota injectors should give a wide spray pattern, rather than a straight one.

20210911_163025.jpg.c515e6ec129916b99926d92bbf7416b5.jpg

Just sitting on the engine doing some measuring. Looks cool though:

20210911_163405.jpg.c085cc98e29e43e7a79545d206611137.jpg

• Like 5