Gavs Eunos Roadster

~Slideways~

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, kyteler said:

I run semi on the FD, will hold off on the Roadster for now as I somewhat want the loose nature of it for a bit of a laugh. 

Should put some Ling Longs on...

Yeah I totally agree, with the supercats and the lsd it was fun in the rain pulling away in first gear with way too many revs, but it'd barely chirps into 2nd. It really needs just a little more power.

Is yours 1.6 or 1.8?

Last night I investigate fitting a random pod filter to the AFM but didn't have the right combination of joiners etc. I ended up leaving the factory air box, removing the snorkel thing (doesn't even lead to cold air) and drilling some big holes into the air box while still letting the panel filter do its thing.

Driving it to work this morning it has a good amount of induction noise, previously it was all exhaust noise (has a aftermarket rear muffler of some sort, the rest is facotry). Sounds pretty cool actually, not sure its making any noticable power though. 

I've read that a lot of the intake restriction is due to the 90degree bend from the AFM down into the air box plus the AFM itself.

I'm pretty tempted to buy a diy kit for a speeduino just to see how much of a restriction the intake really is by removing the AFM and piping etc. It may actually lose some torque since I think that long intake pipe is meant to help with bottom end torque.

The top end really does feel choked and flat.

All suppliers of the plug in MX5 speeduino have been sold out for a while but the diy solder kit is available. Would have to splice it in or get some spare ecu female plugs.

• Like 1

Just now, kyteler said:

Mine's the wee baby 1.6, unlikely to have LSD either but throttle check due to poor clutch is inconclusive. 

Pretty keen on pod as basic but ideally would love itbs for max dort noise. 

Maybe I should make a thread too. 

Yes you should. 

I'm still considering using bike itb's using joiners to the stock runners, cut off etc. I know it can be done. Seems like not much to be gained unless higher compression and cams though.

But the cool noises...

Or a simple turbo setup with either a td04 or a twin scroll td05 if it would spool ok. 

First step would be an ecu, keep it low budget with a Speeduino, free up the intake and exhaust might be enough? 

• Like 2

Have ordered a DIY solder Speeduino kit, it's coming from the UK so who knows how long that might take.

Both the Aus and UK Speeduino suppliers have been out of stock of the MX5 PNP ones for quite a while and never had a reply from the Speeduino guy in AU so just bought a solder kit.

Have done a decent amount of soldering but never anything like this, think it'll be pretty cool. If it works, I can then play around with Tunerstudio without too much fear of blowing up an expensive engine. Plus the lack of turbo or anything like VVT should make it a good way to learn the basics of tuning.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ~Slideways~ said:

Have ordered a DIY solder Speeduino kit, it's coming from the UK so who knows how long that might take.

Both the Aus and UK Speeduino suppliers have been out of stock of the MX5 PNP ones for quite a while and never had a reply from the Speeduino guy in AU so just bought a solder kit.

Have done a decent amount of soldering but never anything like this, think it'll be pretty cool. If it works, I can then play around with Tunerstudio without too much fear of blowing up an expensive engine. Plus the lack of turbo or anything like VVT should make it a good way to learn the basics of tuning.

Ive built a 0.4 kit, and my soldering was pretty shit and it still worked, use a fine point on your soldering iron, decent solder and make sure your at the right temp. I got a circuit board holder so I could rotate the board.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It does things!

Firmware successfully updated with speedyloader:

8FCE4769-B084-4E48-B363-BF513C9D5A91.jpeg.87960bae7cb073f3778832f01be79800.jpeg

Tunerstudio recognises it and when I set the map sensor correctly it reads a change when I blow into a vacuum hose:

F4675380-F32D-4326-A030-BE19CEE6D159.jpeg.0381fa2674e7b9deda51cfd3e763874b.jpeg

Connected to the mx5 loom it powers on and the LED’s flash when it cranks:

1E4D9235-708B-45B8-9963-912C3249A9DF.jpeg.584f35bbef431bcf0416c38b120be053.jpeg

Next I need to go to Pick a Part and find a suitable variable TPS that’ll fit and maybe a generic Air temp sensor and see if it will fire.

Then decide what AFR sensor to use, could just take the one out of the 200sx but to be honest I haven’t been impressed with it. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, BlownCorona said:

bmw e36 (or pretty much any bmw) TPS is popular, several options for mounting it to the mx5 throttle

I literally just got back from Pick a Part with a BMW one! Cheers though.

I was actually hoping to find a Nissan one which is supposed to be a good fit without an adapter. None there so got the BMW one based on the PnP kits. 

I'll see if I can make an adapter or if I need to get one 3d printed. 

i dont see any reason you couldnt make one. 3d printed ones can be purchased from someone on the NZMX5 Facebook page, but i cant remember who. i also got banned from that page for consistently pointing out that one of the mods, who is also on oldschool, advice is always horrible and wrong lol. 

• Haha 2