electric ignition from points

michael0008

hey all looking at upgrading my ignition system on my hillman imp from points, currently have a 25d dizzy and been looking at electric dizzy kits

seems like they all are no good or are silly expensive :roll: 

a.jpg.d29adfe396e65f3bc527f00425339e3b.jpg

so was looking at accuspark electric ignition kit and remove the accuspark module so Im using it just for the inductive pickup and wire it up to a bosch HEI ignition module
mount the module on the chassis with a heat sink 

is there anything im missing that wouldn't make my idea work :lol: or any suggestions

• Like 1

I've only used the pertronix stuff.. Never failed and real simple to install.  If you get them from the states they are way cheaper. 

*edit,  PerTronix LU-142A on amazon for about US110 delivered to nz.. 

• Like 1

Have a go. If it doesn't work reliably, have a friend with an oscilloscope check it for correct voltages / impedance matching / polarity etc :)

or just use TAI so the points last waaaay longer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yetchh said:

I've only used the pertronix stuff.. Never failed and real simple to install.  If you get them from the states they are way cheaper. 

*edit,  PerTronix LU-142A on amazon for about US110 delivered to nz.. 

Yeah I've heard good and bad about pertronix , have you used it for awhile or just a year?

Just now, h4nd said:

Have a go. If it doesn't work reliably, have a friend with an oscilloscope check it for correct voltages / impedance matching / polarity etc :)

or just use TAI so the points last waaaay longer.

Haha very true I might have to do this!

Yeah, barely need to look at them. I replaced the Lucas dizzy in my Morris Minor (probably also a 25D) with an electronic Nissan dizzy (N13 maybe?) by swapping the drive gear. Has been pretty well trouble free for 15+ years too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, michael0008 said:

Yeah I've heard good and bad about pertronix , have you used it for awhile or just a year?

Had them in my land cruiser in Aus for 3 years no probs, zephyr was burning points constantly and would also when cold, slowly idle slower and slower till it stalled, would also run like a pig till warm.. Put in a pertronix igniter II about 2015 and that all disappeared. Starts first pop no choke.. 

• Like 1

My experience with Pertronix stuff is fixing poorly installed units and dodgy reluctor wheels. Unless you're running a well tweaked engine my general advice stick with the points. The number of people that fuck up fitting those kits is amazing. But cheep points like fuel miser are shit too. Good quality points and condenser in a distributor that isn't worn to hell will fire up no problems and run sweetly. 

• Like 1