Mattt's 1970 RT80 12A Bridgeport TEQ Corona Discussion

Mattt

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Mattt said:

Thanks man. I really appreciate that my car can be inspirational. I will be having new door cards made although my vinyl is peeling at the bottom so not sure if it’s of any use to you or not?

on that note have you got a RH rear pillar vent internal cover? It’s the metal cover that goes on the inside of the vents on the pillars I only seem to have the LH one for some reason. 

Sorry nothing like that unfortunately.

I'd probably still be keen on the door cards and just glue up the vinyl if it's not too hosed, my door cars are just shitty straight black poor quality vinyl. I was gonna have some new ones made too but it's wayyyy down the list

• 3 weeks later...

No, but I’ll be cutting it out piece by piece and welding in temporary bracing as I work my way along. Not to mention the likelihood that when they made the disgusting mess of a tunnel originally that nothing would have been braced. It will probably allow the car to sit more naturally when I cut that abomination out haha

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Considered going for an electric powersteering setup by using a corolla/GT86 or prius electric steering column?

How strong are MX5 diffs and how much power are you after? Id be looking at GT86 rear end and front components as well

3SGE are getting old in the tooth now as well, if you are going to a newer engine something like a 2GR might be fun? or if you want to stick with 4pot there are a few newer options (depending on if you want port or direct injection)

Also if the 12a goes you could look at going to a 13b or a renenis option, still lots of places sell rebuild parts. How long do you think the 12a will go for?

24 minutes ago, shrike said:

Considered going for an electric powersteering setup by using a corolla/GT86 or prius electric steering column?

How strong are MX5 diffs and how much power are you after? Id be looking at GT86 rear end and front components as well

3SGE are getting old in the tooth now as well, if you are going to a newer engine something like a 2GR might be fun? or if you want to stick with 4pot there are a few newer options (depending on if you want port or direct injection)

Also if the 12a goes you could look at going to a 13b or a renenis option, still lots of places sell rebuild parts. How long do you think the 12a will go for?

I was also going to suggest a 2GR - they are such a sweet motor and  would sound so good with ITBs

1 hour ago, shrike said:

Mx5 diffs are decently strong. Theres heaps of options of factory lsd, aftermarket lsd and diff ratios.

The beauty of the beams is that its a very well known engine that has been done heaps of times and has a tonne of aftermarket support. I can buy an off the shelf wiring loom for the link with the plugs and everything for the ITBS ready to go. The adapters are off the shelf. And parts are cheap as chips. Plus the 6 speed comes attached to most of them. I think the beams will lay down around 180hp atw with itb and cams but will make much better torque through the rev range. Also, they're pretty bloody cheap. 

I hadn't considered the electric steering option, but I was wanting to go with a rack so the mx5 seemed fairly easy, but may still require alot of thought 

The biggest issue with my car is its fucking narrow. Mx5 disk face width is about 200mm wider than the corona. Not much is as narrow with IRS. Also, again mx5 stuff is cheap, readily available and has huge aftermarket support. 

For reference, the corona is 950kg from the factory. The mx5 is 1050. The corona is 1150 wide to the disk face, the mx5 is 1350. I will have to run flares or push the arches out to get the wheels under. A certain amount of camber will help as well of course  

2 hours ago, Mattt said:

Mx5 diffs are decently strong. Theres heaps of options of factory lsd, aftermarket lsd and diff ratios.

The beauty of the beams is that its a very well known engine that has been done heaps of times and has a tonne of aftermarket support. I can buy an off the shelf wiring loom for the link with the plugs and everything for the ITBS ready to go. The adapters are off the shelf. And parts are cheap as chips. Plus the 6 speed comes attached to most of them. I think the beams will lay down around 180hp atw with itb and cams but will make much better torque through the rev range. Also, they're pretty bloody cheap. 

I hadn't considered the electric steering option, but I was wanting to go with a rack so the mx5 seemed fairly easy, but may still require alot of thought 

The biggest issue with my car is its fucking narrow. Mx5 disk face width is about 200mm wider than the corona. Not much is as narrow with IRS. Also, again mx5 stuff is cheap, readily available and has huge aftermarket support. 

For reference, the corona is 950kg from the factory. The mx5 is 1050. The corona is 1150 wide to the disk face, the mx5 is 1350. I will have to run flares or push the arches out to get the wheels under. A certain amount of camber will help as well of course  

@sheepersdidn't you narrow down a IRS from a skyline for one of your celica builds?

I was also curious how common MX5 stuff (specifically the earlier stuff) is in NZ and thinking would the GT86 or Altezza etc be another option (would clearly need to narrow anything though)

Yes current support for Beams is good I agree :)

8 hours ago, Dell'orto said:

The MX5 diff would splinter behind a 3S, NA6 diffs pop with the shitty B6, the NB ones aren't heaps better. 

Get an RX8 and pillage it, renesis and 6 speed would go OK in a light car. Rear end is probably a bit too wide though 

From what I've read the nb torsen diff will handle up to 350whp. If that's the case it's plenty for a 3S. 

correct, the torsen will take the power of a beams as they seem to hold up behind turbo mx5s. they are quite hard to get and fairly expensive, though if your considering front and rear subframe swaps, the cost will pale in comparison. 

don't quote me on it, but im pretty sure FC rx7 diffs fit and there are a few different strength options in that field too. as for my sloooooow burning v8 mx5 project, i intend to run a skyline r200 in the mx5 subframe, copying the engineering flying miata have done to fit a ford explorer diff in, as the two diffs mount the same way. something to look into as you'd be able to knock up the sub sub frame no sweat.

and then someone in the lotus 7 circles used an altezza torsen diff with mx5 axles and implied that it all just fit together and helped with narrowing. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

twin turbo 2gr is going to be wild. race ya to finish twin turbo 80 series builds!

couple thoughts, a j160 will almost certainly not take the torque of your planned engine, and neither will nearly any mx5 diff option. a friend is putting a vq35de into his mx5 and will be producing subframe adapters to fit an r200 diff. given youre a fabricator i imagine you can simply do the same. check out flying miatas ford 8.8 diff conversion and copy that for an available diff. 

tremec tr6060 would be my pick. otherwise a cd009 or r154 would probably be suitable options. 

• Like 1

On 26/09/2021 at 21:54, BlownCorona said:

twin turbo 2gr is going to be wild. race ya to finish twin turbo 80 series builds!

couple thoughts, a j160 will almost certainly not take the torque of your planned engine, and neither will nearly any mx5 diff option. a friend is putting a vq35de into his mx5 and will be producing subframe adapters to fit an r200 diff. given youre a fabricator i imagine you can simply do the same. check out flying miatas ford 8.8 diff conversion and copy that for an available diff. 

tremec tr6060 would be my pick. otherwise a cd009 or r154 would probably be suitable options. 

I was looking at the j160 simply because they're cheap, 6 speed and everywhere. My little bit of research suggested they should handle it provided I don't treat it like shit, but I am known for eating gearboxes so maybe I should consider something stronger. Was looking at the r154 of course and as said can get bellhousings to bolt straight up. My understanding is a 3vz bellhousing will work as well, just needs a little grinding where the starter bolts up. 

As you've said I'll have to look into a better diff option. Adapting should be fairly simple. 

Really want to rip back into this thing but until I get a shed that I can work in I'm I'm bit screwed so I'm not sure about a race!