ThePogs Homebrew CNC Router Build

ThePog

6 minutes ago, Willdat? said:

We've got a student making us a full sheet cnc plasma this year based around a regular boc handset and running Linux CNC so I might have to be in touch... 

I can have a look in the back room at work for an old hypertherm plasma and a machine torch if it will make it easier 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, ThePog said:

Happy to help, you should have a field trip with your students to have a look-see..

If that's OK I'd definitely like to organise it ASAP. There will probably be some hard core fan boi-ing as they don't get a real engineer for a teacher! I'll figure out how many students have vehicles etc. and be in touch. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/02/2021 at 20:16, Willdat? said:

That would be amazing! Let me know how you get on. 

Sorry for taking so long, I have a hypertherm powermax 600 here but unfortunately no torch leads for it, I can price up a new set at cost price if you are still interested 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having some dramas with the old girl, basically I cooked either the spindle or the speed drive as it was cutting out with an overcurrent fault. I checked many things but without the ability to swap things out I was a bit stuck. 

So I took a punt and ordered a new spindle vfd combo from the same AliX place as I got the last one, I did consider buying a local setup but this was 2.5k vs $600, so apart from potential shipping time it was a no brainer. Fortunately the package arrived without too much delay.

I mounted the new spindle and got the same error, so I programmed the new vfd and spun it up with no faults. 

While I was waiting for this to arrived I tidied some things, mostly a cutout switch for the spindle and an aux relay board so the water pump would turn on when the spindle turned on.

Something in the new setup was causing issues though, either the spindle or the relay board was causing the prox sensor circuit to false positive when stopping and starting, this would shut things down.

I spent a week fucking around with isolating all the various circuits and installing ferrites and caps to clean up the signal from the relay board, but a google search for the same issue solved it for me, which was a 100 microfarad cap across the signal terminals of the prox circuit. Sorted.

Before all this happened I had visited @Willdat?'s dad to check out his machine and talk shit for a while, I can see now how Will turned out such a solid citizen.

Dave gave me a 1/8th downcut bit that he said was great for profiling ply, and today I finally got a chance to try it out with amazing results;

IMG_20210405_114101.thumb.jpg.28a899a2b90f340fd6edf0decb7b1e27.jpg

The edges are super clean, no cleanup required at all. I am super stoked.

I'll get some 18mm ply soon and try it out on that....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

I enjoy your videos, wish you put up more showing the final product. 

I need to see the guitar body and whatever those ply bits assemble to make :-D

Ha so far there has been a distinct lack of actual finished things, the guitar body comes close but im not 100% happy with it. Those thin ply parts are a special wee project I have been messing around with for a while. It is so pleasing to get bits i can actually use now, maybe i can show the no doubt very interesting results once I have put a bit more into it...

Edit; I'll take some pics or a vid of the guitar body if you like.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

How's this going, specifically LinuxCNC?

I've acquired an old Morbidelli, runs ok but the proprietary software is only good for carving up cabinets, looking to rip all the complexity out and retrofit with linuxCNC.

Any issues you've had/do differently etc? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NickJ said:

How's this going, specifically LinuxCNC?

I've acquired an old Morbidelli, runs ok but the proprietary software is only good for carving up cabinets, looking to rip all the complexity out and retrofit with linuxCNC.

Any issues you've had/do differently etc? 

Sorry I was hit by the site glitch and have just seen this.

Its working sweet, I just did a job for @Elle L for her housetruck rafter beams.

I would have no problem jumping into a LinuxCNC retrofit, the setup was pretty straightforward and the forums were good for solving specific issues. In fact I have been offered a big router basically for free that I would do the same to, the only issue is the space it would take up.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ThePog said:

Its working sweet, I just did a job for @Elle L for her housetruck rafter beams.

I would have no problem jumping into a LinuxCNC retrofit, the setup was pretty straightforward and the forums were good for solving specific issues. In fact I have been offered a big router basically for free that I would do the same to, the only issue is the space it would take up.

Cheers mate, bloody router wasn't meant to be a project, but now i've poured so many hours into it going that little bit further to get proper functionality seems a logical step.

And yes, takes up most of the garage, do not recommend.

10 hours ago, ThePog said:

How big is it? I know a good local home for these kind of things...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 07/06/2022 at 19:01, NickJ said:

Cheers mate, bloody router wasn't meant to be a project, but now i've poured so many hours into it going that little bit further to get proper functionality seems a logical step.

And yes, takes up most of the garage, do not recommend.

@NickJ we did a linux cnc refit of a morbidelli. Its going great. I cant tell you a lot as i paid a dude to largely do it because my brain hurt thinking about it - but he was also the dude that advised @ThePog on his linux cnc build. Its an excellent machine and farking accurate.. more z height would be good for me, but 200 travel is prob acceptable for most.