ThePogs Homebrew CNC Router Build

ThePog

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/10/2020 at 21:01, flyingbrick said:

Would you be interested in doing some plywood trellis type panels for me? I just have some random designs (tui, grayfish, fern etc) that I'd like profiled out for a feature wall plus a few more to sell. Like this: 

Screenshot_2020-10-24-21-00-24-67.thumb.jpg.36ae6c9bc07cd74041c7d6baf4655eeb.jpg

(Lol, jokes )

I can make you some mate. Have a few designs on file already ive been making for some local businesses 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been messing with this pretty intently, breaking off lots of mitre 10 cutters while trying to make shit. Probably time to spend some money on proper tooling.

Made a fancy new bed for it cos the last one was a bit of a banana, the skimmed MDF bent fucking everywhere and didn't really let enough suck through.

Uj3ymHz.jpg

09B9MLI.jpg

dBD5Nld.jpg

1384 holes to let the vacuum through. It worked pretty well when I tested the concept on the old bed.

My first cut on it was a test for a sign my daughter wanted made. It needs some denser material, pine is a bit soft for this sort of shit.

She's got the right attitude;

hR9DST8.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

Love my sign thanks mate! I haven't seen it in person yet but the office lady phoned me and asked if she should open it because it looked damaged in transit. Workmate said it was gold as she HATES the c word. 

Absolutely perfect

1 hour ago, anglia4 said:

I absolutely love that this machine has only been used for drawing dicks and saying swear words.

Best CNC ever.

I have actually been trying to make other stuff with it, hence the broken bits. So much time fucking around getting what I want to do and the machines capabilities into the same space, so nothing interesting to show yet. The signage is pretty straightforward really and makes me laugh.

Actually I forgot to mention that I spent a day fucking with the acceleration parameters in the setup, which I only started thinking about cos I was getting overruns on some movements and the machine was shaking during vector transitions. When I got it all sorted I set it to home and had a full body shiver of engineering orgasm at how beautifully and smoothly it made the movements, the goodness was tangible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, ThePog said:

1384 holes to let the vacuum through

when i did a couple of Kitchens : (long time ago now and yea Maltika? / MDF with plastic on it)

I used MDF for a spoil board & it is fairly pourous anyway and didn't even drill holes 

mind you I have the biggest vac pump available at the time (1996 era)

/jokerling

13 minutes ago, JoKer said:

when i did a couple of Kitchens : (long time ago now and yea Maltika? / MDF with plastic on it)

I used MDF for a spoil board & it is fairly pourous anyway and didn't even drill holes 

mind you I have the biggest vac pump available at the time (1996 era)

/jokerling

Yea I had a bit of MDF skimmed both sides and the edges painted to seal it but my shop vac was struggling a bit. It also wouldn't sit flat so I got grumpy with it and made the effort. 

I also forgot to say I pulled all of that bed poos off and welded in a shitload more bracing into the frame, I hadn't realised just how much the unsupported MDF would move. It still has some movement, but it's a fraction of what it was.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Stu said:

What sort of cutters are you using? Ive got some partially worn but still pretty reasonably ones here you can try if you'd like?

Yea I'd be happy to try anything out, I've just been buying the shitty mitre 10 bits. I'd be super interested to try down cut bits if you have some.

14 hours ago, ThePog said:

Yea I'd be happy to try anything out, I've just been buying the shitty mitre 10 bits. I'd be super interested to try down cut bits if you have some.

Easy as, send me a PM and we can work out what you need. Im super fussy with cutters and the edge finish being perfect straight off the machines so I buy quite reguarly. Im my game if I can save labour hours each day cleaning up edges its well worth buying more cutters instead.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I profiled some big bits with keying features in them, the fuckers simply would not fit together and I couldn't understand it, surely everything was perfect? I checked all sorts of things to do with the coding and programming but to no avail.

I ended up making some test parts, then some simplified test parts, then some actually useful test parts;

J09I16P.jpg

The round bits were the keying detail I was trying to get, the stepped parts were to see if it was just a scaling issue or if the wrongness was the same no matter where the cut was. This allowed me to isolate it to a 1mm+ unwanted slop in the Y axis, and the last round one is the final result after some mods

So I welded some bracing on there, obviously I didnt simply wrap some blankets around the important stuff and do it in place lol;

EuFpGPk.jpg

Then i did that last round test part up there^ that actually fitted together and a new stepped one. Things are looking much better;

gD8s4VD.jpg

ktHpd5C.jpg

There is no way I staged this by squeezing ever so slightly on the calipers so the numbers were super close.

They actually were very very close, just not quite this close ha

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Willdat? said:

We've got a student making us a full sheet cnc plasma this year based around a regular boc handset and running Linux CNC so I might have to be in touch... 

Happy to help, you should have a field trip with your students to have a look-see..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1