ThePogs Homebrew CNC Router Build

ThePog

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ThePog said:

That is the second mention today of rifle stocks, I can see a niche opening up, just like my chargeout rates..

Send me some CAD, I would be interested to see if I can program it.

I looked into it in detail, end result was the NZ market is small and the expectations are cheap, cost price of machine + labour to finish was ~$5-600.

To compete against imported that retailed cheaper than that I didn't have the motivation to deal with people.

Should be able to dig out a nested pair for you easy.

12 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I will add that there is a bespoke market out there happy to drop a few k on a stock, but the input required is more than a side project job.

Yea I can see that. I will be looking for real work for this when I am happy with it. I also have a real full sized router lined up if it gets to the point I can justify it.

53 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I will add that there is a bespoke market out there happy to drop a few k on a stock, but the input required is more than a side project job.

Hi Nick. Where did you find your models? Draw them up yourself?  I'd love to have him mill up a thumb hole stock for my model 7 but I have no design drawn up yet.

I have a number of nice walnut blanks too if you want.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

Hi Nick. Where did you find your models? Draw them up yourself?  I'd love to have him mill up a thumb hole stock for my model 7 but I have no design drawn up yet.

DID YOU JUST ASSUME MY GENDER!!!!?!!

32 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

You really want to get it scanned, then it would make it easy to add detail. You can actually get a pretty respectable point cloud from photos these days;

"Best free 3D scanning apps for smartphones in 2020" https://www.aniwaa.com/buyers-guide/3d-scanners/best-3d-scanning-apps-smartphones/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

I drew all the designs up, was the result of needing a stock that fits my lankyness but everything is from america where all firearm designers must be under 5' with t-rex arms.

Never got around to thumbhole designs cos they'd be best tackled with a 4th axis which we didn't have.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2020 at 09:36, Nominal said:

If you are keen I'd like a sign for

Te Horo Garage

Materials / size etc up to you. I'll be in Nelson in Jan for a couple of days so could collect it no problem.

How does this look? It's cut into an approx 1m long plank from a 1980s ENZA fruit crate ..

4PPvKBd.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Looking great!  Out of interest, what step over % are you using for the tool paths?

I used a 4mm cutter for those, I think the stepover was 3.6mm. That apple box stock was pretty stringy so the finish was not as good as the Try not to be sign. That was Macrocarpa and seems to cut fairly cleanly. I kindof wanted to go over the Te Horo sign again to clean it up but I didn't have enough time to get through it again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...