ThePogs Homebrew CNC Router Build

ThePog

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuck yeah! Nice! 

I found some sheets of 3660x1830 or something like that. Ended up with a torsion box table 3500x1750x200. Pretty bloody heavy haha!

But for $50, thats a fucking win! Bet he'll want stuff CNCed every week for $50 now :-P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ned said:

Fuck yeah! Nice! 

I found some sheets of 3660x1830 or something like that. Ended up with a torsion box table 3500x1750x200. Pretty bloody heavy haha!

But for $50, thats a fucking win! Bet he'll want stuff CNCed every week for $50 now :-P

Probably, although he seemed like one of those dudes that just likes helping out. 

He'll get a gobbie if he asks tho

• Like 1

Fuck I'm cranking this shit out.

I set up all the prox switches and spent yesterday crashing things into them while trying to get my head around the LinuxCNC .ini file that controls all that stuff. Pretty much got it sorted but I really need to understand how the soft limits work a bit better.

Then I sat down and dicked with HSMXpress which is a cam add in for Solidworks that seems to mostly do what I need it too. Shit it's a steep learning curve, I needed a few revisions of the setup to get the router to do anything sensible. I need to spend a lot more time learning about G code as well.

However I did get a basic functional setup working, and here it is;

Fucked with the spindle but I can't get it to go, probably a setup thing in the LinuxCNC .hal file which I also need to spend a lot of time learning about.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, ThePog said:

Fucked with the spindle but I can't get it to go, probably a setup thing in the LinuxCNC .hal file which I also need to spend a lot of time learning about.

Speedy fast progress!

Just run the spindle manually? Had similar problems setting up mates router that was our fix until figuring out the configuration/communication.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Speedy fast progress!

Just run the spindle manually? Had similar problems setting up mates router that was our fix until figuring out the configuration/communication.

Yea it might be that if I fail to get Linux to drive it. Theoretically it is straightforward but I am a nooooooooob.

I finally got the spindle running, as expected it was me being a dumbass about the VFD setup parameters. Although for some reason it is only getting speed control from the potentiometer on the VFD. I am ok with this though as it will allow me to experiment with speeds and feeds.

I also trammed the spindle to cut straight and flat, good enough to be able to face the table anyways. I also did a hard out calibration of the X and Y axis so it would cut accurately.

I also made up a longer control cable for the big servo, that was stressful. This means everything is nicely tucked away in the cable trays now.

Next is to buy a cutter and face that table...

Then I'll design a vac table and make it.

After that it's all cash money.

• Like 8

Man I am fizzing over this thing.

I surfaced the table over the weekend so I had a decent base to work with. There was some dumbfuckery with the length of the cut surface as it was 40mm or so too short. It turned out my calibration was just wrong, what a dick.

After I sorted that I then I realised that the odd misalignment at one of the corners of the bed was not a poorly cut bit of laminex, it was the belts moving at different rates due to different stretch. I sorted that tonight and then started cutting the vac table. I'm breaking it out into small operations so I can learn some shit about feeds. This is the vac inlet pockets;

GjcaUAM.jpg

Come up good, those screw holes were routed too...

I also set up spindle cooling as I didn't want to toast it, I bought some tube from mitre 10 and went redneck on it;

sIvkpmQ.jpg

This will get tidied up and made to run automatically a bit later.

• Like 9

Made a dust shroud tonight;

vFAclU9.jpg

QaTICTE.jpg

Might need some longer brushy stuff but that was what Mitre 10 had last Saturday. We'll see how it goes.

Also I hand modified some g code to adjust the speeds after checking the vac slot program, I am a software engineer as well now bitches.

• Like 5

Tedious yes, but totally understand how mesmerising it is in person when you get a computer to do something useful!

We found the hood visually got in the way when working on 3d stuff, eventually replacing the brushes with clear vinyl, even then you'd be pulling the suction hose off and manually cleaning up to check on cut quality etc.

Keep throwing up the updates, keen to see what you'll get it carving!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...