ThePogs Homebrew CNC Router Build

ThePog

Just now, anglia4 said:

I've had a bit of gear from linearmotion.co.nz when I was at Trinders.

Unsure comparatively how it goes against the bank as I never had to pay myself haha

I too have spunked quite a lot of other people's money on cool stuff...

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Late to the thread, sorry.....

Another contact would be Tony at Atomick Laser in Lower Hutt (www.routercut.co.nz).  He has built most of the equipment he runs (2400 by 1200 CNC, 1200 by 1200 3 axis CNC, 2  1200 x 1200 Lasers etc) and is a genuine nice guy to boot.

I've looked at that Maslo but I dont know if the accuracy would be there?  It relies a lot on the weight of the router to prevent it torquing off all over the place.

Just now, EpochNZ said:

Late to the thread, sorry.....

Another contact would be Tony at Atomick Laser in Lower Hutt (www.routercut.co.nz).  He has built most of the equipment he runs (2400 by 1200 CNC, 1200 by 1200 3 axis CNC, 2  1200 x 1200 Lasers etc) and is a genuine nice guy to boot.

I've looked at that Maslo but I dont know if the accuracy would be there?  It relies a lot on the weight of the router to prevent it torquing off all over the place.

Cheers, I have just emailed him...

2 hours ago, ThePog said:

What are the rails like?

ok here's some pics of My machine : now I'm not saying its the Best machine nor am I an expert

It's just what I've got & used and it is OLD as in 1996?

Rails

iWer5Hil.png

the worm screw is the main Drive X axis

tFWBXCgl.png

The Head is in a single sided 'gantry' (probably a proper name for it : I notice todays machines don't have this any more a for accuracy maybe & b for stability)

they litterally dont make them like this any more

Q15vH1Ol.png

(as seen from the 'back)

3lbDyVFl.png

From the "Front"

Rails would be 3m BUT there's 500mm each side supporting the head

eg rails extend to here vs the center of the Head / workable area of mine is 2m

c0igkQll.png

not sure if that helps at all as yeah single sided and doesnt fit a full sheet (which I will get one day)

• Like 1

Just now, JoKer said:

c0igkQll.png

Yea that is kindof weird, I would have thought the mass of the head would cause some sort of bounce with support only on one side, but I guess the engineers knew what they were doing.

Its a real shame it doesnt do a full sheet, there seems to be a big jump in cost to get to that, which I am hoping to avoid.

Still you work with what you have as my wife says to me.

• Like 1

yea I've been told it is Cast / Heavy & the 7x  head tool changer at the back may help balance it

bonus is i can hang stuff out the front if I want headaches (not hard : just a pain to do big stuff)

• Like 1

I got one of the maslow from the first kickstarter batch... Never got it running as everyone was reporting rubbish results and tried converting it to xy and then i found the lowrider and just built that last year

Just now, Ned said:

I got one of the maslow from the first kickstarter batch... Never got it running as everyone was reporting rubbish results and tried converting it to xy and then i found the lowrider and just built that last year

What did you receive as part of the kit?  From memory you needed to provide your own router?

I got a reduced kit to save shipping and got just nuts/bolts etc, motors and chains, motor driver, z motor (was optional then)

No router. I bought the Bosch POF something or other and modified it to drive itself as the Z axis. It was actually very popular and appear to be the common way to donit now for places that arent the US as they use a different router (110v)

Mine was 3d printed at home but some dude got me a baller 3d printed one from straya, and then some dude 5 axis machined me one out of aluminium in the UK. So sweet! Such a shame its not being used hahaha

• Like 1

Following this with interest!  I've got two flat bed routers here at work but have been half heatedly looking to build a smaller 2440x1220 machine for light work (ACM, acrylic and 3mm and under ali).  Also interested in the control gear being used - Ive got a Mach4 control system in a box here as a backup for the Icam which is still running the ancient NEE controller which will no doubt grenade at somepoint when its critically required.

Crissskes watch your eyeballs. Milliseconds.

The fun bit* is that you won't notice at first as the brain fills in little gaps like the one over the optic nerve. Until there's heaps of damage. 

*Not actually fun.

• Like 1

I remembered I had a whole lot of this stuff stashed away;

iXTUCLj.jpg

Igus WS rail. I don't have much of the rail itself, but I have heaps of the carriages, enough for 4x sets of 4 which is the usual configuration for this stuff.

The rail is hard anodised and the blocks have a plastic insert. They are a cunt to get all lined up nicely without jamming but have no backlash once in place.

That's 40mm rail, but you can get 80mm as well which looks about right on the cad model.

I've sent an enquiry away, we'll see what pricing is like.

• Like 2