High Temperature spray foam

Flash

I was fitting a new seal on the engine cover of the Thames today. It's the first time I've had a chance to get a good look at the underside of the cover. There are signs that some type of heat insulation / sound deadening material has been glued on to the underside of the lid at some stage in the past, but it is long gone with just some remnants of adhesive left. No wonder my elbow gets hot when I use the box cover as an armrest whilst cruising LOL

Anyway, I also noticed that there is an inner metal skin that follows the contour of the outer metal skin with a gap of about 25 mm between the two skins. Its factory welded in but there is a small opening between the two skins at the front and back of the lid.

Got me thinking about spraying some of that expanding foam into the gap between the two panels. It would need to be high heat resistant, but in my opinion it would be a much better and longer lasting solution than trying to stick something to the surface. Would hopefully provide a bit of sound deadening at the same time.

Did a quick google and I see that there are some products available. One is a product called Intek PFI 1120, but I haven't found a lot of info on it.

Anyone had any experience with any of these products and can make any recommendations on a particular brand to use ?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Just now, AllTorque said:

Can you take a pic? What is the engine? Is it inside the rocker cover? It may be something to stop oil going out the PCV valve. Don’t jam anything in there until you confirm what it is.

Engine cover on the floor of a van

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I'll take a pic in the light tomorrow as a picture paints a thousand words as they say.

Sadly not enough wiggle space to get batts in between the two skins. Yep I could dynamat and heat insulate which is what I did on my Bedford engine box when I built that, but I'd really like to take advantage of the gap between the two skins if I can.

Here are a few pics of the engine box lid. First pic shows the shape of the cover. Second pic shows the lower opening between the two skins on the underside of the lid. Third and fourth pictures show the upper opening between the two skins. It looks like someone has cut out a corner of the inner skin in the left upper corner for reasons unknown.

Reason I'm thinking of using spray foam between the two skins is that it will allow me to get into the hard to reach areas (especially up the sides of the box) even if I have to drill a few extra holes here and there in the inner skin to insert the foam nozzle. I can then patch and clean up the exposed surface of the inner skin with a flapper disk and then stick a layer of the thin heat reflective silver stuff for a super neat look.

20200501_080414.jpg

20200501_075812.jpg

20200501_075819.jpg

20200501_075826.jpg