MRWEST'S 808 Coupe

MRWEST

So glad you are doing the right thing and working through all the previous poor workmanship.

Those fuel lines were terrible but I think you need to keep the gearbox mount. Not to use, but as a sort of homage to the previous owners.

New mount is a work of art!

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, thegreatestben said:

Previous owners always give the best lols.

Aint that the truth haha. Have found some gems thats for sure.

16 hours ago, kiwi808 said:

So glad you are doing the right thing and working through all the previous poor workmanship.

Those fuel lines were terrible but I think you need to keep the gearbox mount. Not to use, but as a sort of homage to the previous owners.

New mount is a work of art!

Cheers man i dont like things being done half arse drives me up the wall. 

Old gearbox mount is going on the wall in the shed thats for sure ha!

10 hours ago, rusty360 said:

That farking mount really!

A+ For kiwi ingenuity ill give them that haha

• Like 1

Just now, JoKer said:

so? Steer with the rear mr Drifter :P hah

its a pleasure to watch you work these magics via the internets!

good build

haha yeah trying to avoid rubbage cause well ya know not ideal haha.

cheers mate happy with progress so far, hanging to get it all sorted out ready for some cruising!

• Like 1

When I looked into it ~5 years ago I only found 3 types of 15in tyres that were manufacturer rated for a 10in wide rim, there's the Pirellis(?) that go on the back of a Countach/ 930 Turbo. some other high sidewall tyre and the only low profile tyre I could find was the Avon Semi slicks that go on the back of the fancy pants Caterham - these were $500/piece from memory.

just a side note if you care.

• Like 1

unfortunately some of the poor workmanship done on this car is not much of a surprise as having to do much the same on a few of my own and customers vehicles.

Your doing a good job on tidying this up which is good to see

Also can't see from photos but have you got a spring washer or a sort of locking fastener on the gearbox cross member? looks to have serrated flange nuts which i guess are some sort of a locking fastener but personally would not use them for this use with type of loading on them. would use spring washers and decent flat washers myself.

looks to had been cared for by one of its past owners atleast.  

14 hours ago, Evan said:

When I looked into it ~5 years ago I only found 3 types of 15in tyres that were manufacturer rated for a 10in wide rim, there's the Pirellis(?) that go on the back of a Countach/ 930 Turbo. some other high sidewall tyre and the only low profile tyre I could find was the Avon Semi slicks that go on the back of the fancy pants Caterham - these were $500/piece from memory.

just a side note if you care.

14 hours ago, kyteler said:

Michelin has started making tyres to suit old race cars, etc.  So they do some wides but not necessarily short sidewalls.  Not terrible though.  I looked at them for legal sizes for 15x10-12.

https://classic.michelin.com/en/Competition-Classic-Tyre-range/TB-15

Yeah from my research most people iv found that run 15x10 run a 225/45R15 whilst not legal in terms of LVVTA tyre stretch rules  they do look ok and have minimal stretch (1000x less than i had before) and can be had for a resonable ish (at the moment $211/tyre) 

10 hours ago, piazzanoob said:

unfortunately some of the poor workmanship done on this car is not much of a surprise as having to do much the same on a few of my own and customers vehicles.

Your doing a good job on tidying this up which is good to see

Also can't see from photos but have you got a spring washer or a sort of locking fastener on the gearbox cross member? looks to have serrated flange nuts which i guess are some sort of a locking fastener but personally would not use them for this use with type of loading on them. would use spring washers and decent flat washers myself.

looks to had been cared for by one of its past owners atleast.  

Cheers man yeah always a bit frustrating having to tidy things up im just glad i havent found anything super scary or major its all pretty minor in the scheme of things really and most of i did know about. Just glad the bones/drivetrain etc of the car seem to be decent.

Yep got a spring waser on there also! should of probably put a large flat washer as well in hindsight!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 05/06/2020 at 09:39, MRWEST said:

Havent done much in the last couple weeks been sorting the truck vin and other bits.

Ordered some new tyres for the rear,
Have gone with 225/45/R15 Nexen semis (best priced tyre in this size by a long way) to go on the 10" rim. 

20200604_164018_resized.thumb.jpg.167c19c45b9e7eb9d795c6c5a96101f8.jpg

Also was putting a new speedo cable into the truck and realised the chev factory  gauge end fitting looked similar to the autometer speedo i had with no cable.
Tested it and sure enough it did. Had a mazda cable to fit the s4 box so sent it all down to CBC in Christchurch who made me a new cable to suit which looks to work perfectly.

20200604_163829_resized.thumb.jpg.afc93daf9c614cf756d0dae6963b35e1.jpg

Got to sort the last of the truck vin repairs this weekend then ill be back into this to get it sorted and rolling again.

Hey bro, how much were those tyres? 

Just now, kiwi808 said:

Nice score with the Louvres, they're pretty hard to come but un broken and with the clips.

I'd totally rock a set if I had them.

This will be a sweet sled when finished.

yeah so im told, they dont look like theyve been on a car, missing some of the hardware so have ordered some of what i think is right from auz so see when it turns up.

Looking forward to getting it sorted for version 1 thats for sure. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MRWEST said:

$211 per tyre delivered which was alot cheaper than other alternatives (very limited) i could find. 

Shit.. that's good. Yeah it's been a bit of a struggle to find 15"tyres for under $350.. Specially that size. 

• Like 1

Just now, 63Ragtop said:

Jesus Christ! That parcel tray! Good work cleaning up these many hack jobs on this cool car.

Mind blowing ay haha.

Its heading in the right direction thankfully. Looking forward to being able to enjoy it soon.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, oldrx7 said:

Looks sweet in that old pic slammed on the ZS’s, will be interesting to see it with them on with the flares

Yeah dont think itll work with the flares, was more for the shelf for a rainy day post flares plan i think.

• Like 2