Really dumb idea (genius)

gibbon

Recently I've become fixated on trying to improve the flow through my turbo (td05). I've made a new dump pipe with a separate discharge turbo for the internal wastegate, and now I'd like to block the original path from the wastegate back into the turbine outlet. I've spent a lot of time porting out the housing and it burns my ass that the now-defunct wastegate passage is still there mucking up the flow directly downstream of the exducer

Normally I guess you'd just buy a housing with no wastegate provision, or plate over the hole. But I've devised a solution that would make Rangimods proud; how about refractory cement/fire brick?

It's good for around 1000c, is as easy to work with as clay (because it pretty much is), has a slightly lower thermal expansion than the cast steel so wont crack the housing, but not so much less that itll rattle out, and the wastegate passage is coarse and irregular enough that it should be able to key into it ok. I could slap a glob of it in the wastegate passage and itd end up with a nice unobstructive finish in the turbine outlet passage 

Stupid or stupid-clever?

Just now, yetchh said:

Might last a wee while but eventually will blow out potentially blocking up downstream.. Too much vibration and hot cold cycling I reckon

I did wonder about whether it'd be acceptably resistant to erosion. Heat cycling I'm less concerned about, theres hundred year old fireplaces made out of the stuff which seem to hold up ok. Just hope it doesn't break up one day and pepper someone behind me with red hot terracotta 

The car is in a trillion bits and pending welding surgery so dont expect results for a while unfortunately 

10 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Heat cycling I'm less concerned about, theres hundred year old fireplaces made out of the stuff which seem to hold up ok. 

You can't compare a brick and clay fireplace to a turbo exhaust housing.. 

Just now, mjrstar said:

I would weld a 1/3 piece of tube in the dump pipe to separate the turbine exit from the wastegate exit up to where it flanges to the exhaust housing. 

I am going to go with not clever as its going to lack adhesion. 

Thatd be an easy way to do it except the turbine exit is now divergent due to being ported... it's still doable but a bit trickier. Other option I thought of is a plate blocking the wastegate path on either side of it (one in the turbine outlet and one in the wastegate outlet) with a bolt running between them to clamp them in place