TR"s 1984 GX61 Hardtop Mark II

Not much to report, Carbs are ordered, hopefully only a couple weeks away but you never know with shipping at the moment. 

Been busy getting the manifold design closer and closer to be able to be CNCd. More on that later. 

If anyone has recommendations on who to get the head checked, ported and rebuilt by locally, shoot those suggestions my way. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Small update: 

Carbs arrived! They took a while to get here thanks to old mate Covid but they are ready to go. 

Head has been at Kennely Cams here in Christchurch for a couple weeks. Ended up commiting to some custom cams, a skim, some springs and a couple other wee bits too. Will post cam specs when I pick the head up! 

Nick from MFS has been given the green light on the manifold. That’s hopefully 2-3 weeks away. 

Starting to come together! Got a lot of bits still to sort out, ignition being the main one, but fuel and wiring will also need attention too. 

Will post more pics when I get my good camera back! 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Dropped the flanges off Nick at MFS to weld up. I've had a few bits done through him before and the work is always top notch. Can't wait to see how this turns out! 

Some other little bits being sorted out at the moment as well. Have a MLS head gasket coming in for it, doing a little work on the distributor and prepping up some other bits. Want the car going and tuned for summer! 

IMG_20200725_084230.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Small updates.

ARP Head Studs (actually 2JZ main studs but they work for the head on a 1gge too) showed up last week. Expecting the fuel pump and reg tomorrow. 

"Spun by Hutty" are making my trumpets this weekend hopefully.

Carb tuner is pencilled in for later in the month and all the mechanical stuff is booked in to be done next week. (Head on, timing done, cams timed, head studs, manifolds, fuel system etc) 

Ignition is the last item on the list, 1gge dizzys are rubbish and we are struggling to figure out what signal it produces (magnetic, hall effect or points). Might get the dizzy mocked onto a Oscilloscope to see what it produces. They are a weird dizzy so I guess we will find out. 

Stay tuned 

• Like 3

Head gasket was absolutely clogged, which explains the lack of water flow around the motor. I've known for a long time that the motor has been un happy and it looks like this was why. It would run un predictably hot, but on a infrared thermometer it was only 2 cylinders that were hot hot. 

Cylinder bore is pretty clean, a little carbon deposit but nothing bad. In all honesty it'll go back together as is. 

• 4 weeks later...