Datsun A15 engine

daveyc123

Oh hey- I am late to the party sorry. Where should I put this plate of yummy egg sandwiches?

Yes to the A15!!!! They slot into a Viva super easy and look ike they were meant to be there. Possibly a bit lighter then the stock Viva 1256 too.  I have a friend who has converted several Vivas with Datsun engines and he reckons they have often passed through WOFs without even a question from the tester. Probably easier nowadays as most young workshop folk dont even know what a Viva is. 

There is an HC wagon up local to us in Motueka. Old boy owns it. Has a datsun 1500 fitted and he fucking loves it. Does not take much power to make a Viva fun on a twisty road.

Whatever you do keep the weight down from the front end- adding heavy engines into the front of a Viva (or chevette) ruins the nice turn in they have as stock. You can work around it but better to just keep the weight down.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hey, I know this is an old post, but how did you get on with your Viva conversion?

Son has a 1971 HC Viva that he’s thinking of possibly getting a bigger engine transplanted, currently running 1159 which runs really well as is, he’s just playing around with the idea lol

He likes the idea of staying Oldskool as much as possible body wise and loves the attention it already receives, but wants some grunt behind her. He’s mentioned he’d love to put a 308 in her, but my thoughts were more something more like Datsun or Torana (no desire for anything Ford or late model related haha).

What recommendations on engine and running gear would you or your followers suggest?

TIA 

• Like 1