Datsun A15 engine

daveyc123

Hey guys, just doing some lockdown pondering. It seems the datsun/nissan A series engines are a fairly straight swap for a Vauxhall viva.

I've found this very useful link http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Engine_buildup

But I'd just like to know if anyone has any first hand experience with tuning them? The quoted hp figures seem very high on that site. It seems a well set up engine could power the viva along quite nicely. I was thinking of following the standard procedure, head, cam, twin carbs etc.

What sort of real world performance can I expect from this?  

Cheers 

• Like 1

A more modern conversion would probably be money better spent. 4age or mx5 possibly. If I went for something more modern I'd probably want to get a bit more out of it, 150bhp would be a nice ballpark figure. But more costly and difficult to fit.

• Like 1

I'm sure @RUNAMUCK will pipe up soon with supercharger sharns and that the A series is the greatest engine second only to the Chrysler Hemi. You might also want to take driveability int to consideration too. I've spent $4k so far to make a toyota 3K push 150hp because I'm silly. Could easily do that with a 20V 4age for the same money, it would make power below 5000rpm, and probably last longer before needing an overhaul.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Carsnz123 said:

I'm sure @RUNAMUCK will pipe up soon with supercharger sharns and that the A series is the greatest engine second only to the Chrysler Hemi. You might also want to take driveability int to consideration too. I've spent $4k so far to make a toyota 3K push 150hp because I'm silly. Could easily do that with a 20V 4age for the same money, it would make power below 5000rpm, and probably last longer before needing an overhaul.  

150hp? On what dyno? Was it in a hyperbaric chamber, with an atmosphere of pure oxygen?

The a15 is a great engine. 

Things to bare in mind are, the van ones have a smaller cam than those from the b310. Some van engines have an inlet manifold which steps down (which gave more clearance on the underside of the drivers seat in the van) this manifold is less performance oriented. 

A series love to rev. I supercharged one a good while.ago. on 11psi, it pushed a 1200 to a 14.1 second quarter mile.

One downer is, that 5 speeds are expensive. And the four speeds arent abuse proof. (Although they do have 2nd gear closer to 1st, so they're quite nippy)

Since you're in Christchurch, go talk to Damon at Rocky auto on port hills road. He runs an A15 in his 1200 ute. And hes a dab hand at setting up and tuning delorto carbs too. 

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

150hp? On what dyno? Was it in a hyperbaric chamber, with an atmosphere of pure oxygen?

Hasn’t been one one yet. That’s the goal following TRDs bible. Need to go see damo with some money for new carbs. 

1 hour ago, Nominal said:

Remember that 4AGE are 20 years old nowadays.

Nothing wrong with 20 year olds 

Just now, Carsnz123 said:

Hasn’t been one one yet. That’s the goal following TRDs bible. Need to go see damo with some money for new carbs. 

Nothing wrong with 20 year olds 

Be prepared for a number far far below the one stated above. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 02/05/2020 at 16:18, Valiant said:

Have you considered a MX5 motor?

They make about 120 hp stock.

Are ultra reliable.

Already rwd. 

Have a nice 5 speed box as stock.

Can be purchased for sub 1000 dollars.

Could be wired with a stock ecu.

The days of buying a rusty 5 speed Datsun Sunny for not much are long gone.

You can also spend a little money and get the Ford laser valve cover which is a retro looking fined cover and would immediately make this engine look at home in an old car. 

544905888_images(3).jpeg.e676a93df5703b1ea7bfa837b306fbeb.jpeg

I also just noticed that one has a supercharger, which reminds me, these engines love boost even in stock form. Heaps of info online about moding the Mazda b6

• Like 3