Link G4+ and Toyota Idle stepper motor

~Slideways~

Has anyone got some tips on how to set a Toyota 6 wire idle stepper motor with a Link g4+ Storm black?

I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I've got two problems:

1. trying to find the correct step number for the max and min clamp.

2. by not having the range right the idle motor seems to try reset with key off, it 'grinds' at the end of its ''open'' range and then tries again after a few seconds. Which then seems to mean that the ECU Hold Power keeps the ecu on forever. If I unplug the ISCV the Hold Power then shuts off the ECU after its 5second timer as it should.

I have it wired as per the instructions, using Aux 5,6,7,8 and a relay powering the other 2 pins. It works and moves in and out (removed from intake manifold so I can see what it is doing).

But the problem I am having is finding the correct setting for the max and min clamp (say 50 and 150 steps) in the PC Link software.

From what I can tell, if it goes out of range it kind of grinds at the end of its travel for the most "open'' setting. When this happens it seems to then change the range for the max and min clamp step number again?

I then get it where it doesn't grind by testing the max and min step number by putting in different numbers for the idle base position table. i.e. putting in a step count and seeing where it moves to based on that number. Then when I turn off the ign switch it still grinds while doing its reset, sometimes less grind sometimes more, but it is consistent depending on the PC Link setting so it must just be set wrong.

Also, the start up table only allows a range of 0-100 so I guess this is a percentage instead of a step count?

Is there a way to manually set the ISCV Stepper to what ever its base position should be, since it seems to change every time it goes out of its range?

I am beginning to see why people avoid these stepper motors.

Just now, thegreatestben said:

Ling post but if someone’s bothered to make aftermarket ones I’d take that as a sign.

in fact I was watching a skid factory video yesterday and turbo yoda mentioned how shit stepper motors are for idle control.

Haha yes I saw that and thought of the same thing.

Kind of weird since it works perfectly fine with the standard ecu and it’s just a rod opening or closing a hole in the manifold.

^ There looks to be a jz base map that comes with pc link.  with stepper set up in it.   some of the stuff they have in base maps its way off., some is good.  maybe worth a go.

are you trying to run it in closed loop?     try open loop if so

If the loop is open won’t it put it into defect though? #ampacjunklyfe

Just now, kpr said:

^ There looks to be a jz base map that comes with pc link.  with stepper set up in it.   some of the stuff they have in base maps its way off., some is good.  maybe worth a go.

17 hours ago, kpr said:

I've tried the 2jz settings and the 1uz settings, both seem to be way out. It goes to fully open and keeps trying to open more grinding away.

2 hours ago, Roman said:

This is from a working 2J, with the plugin ECU.

But since this we reversed the stepper direction (in settings) as it was making bigger numbers = less air which was confusing haha.

dfgh.PNG

Capture.PNG.f9e41351bee87ce8efd6ba20de5af7c1.PNG

Capture.PNG.88c639fe0d90cfeff0af3061799f8c39.PNG

Thanks man, I’ve tried exactly that but with different base idle settings and it still does the out of travel grinding on key shut off.

I’m not sure how it could be wiring, but maybe?

Grotty helped me with a few other things yesterday it idles nicely now with the injectors set right and fuel table adjusted to get it closer to 14:1 but I still can’t figure out why the stepper motor is doing this on shut down.

Ive tried max clamp anywhere from 20 to 700. At 700 it grinds out of travel for longer at  shut down, at 20 it seems to be ok but it still repeats the reset every 5 second (although I doubt it’ll idle with that, was more or an anti grind test) and sometimes it still grinds for a split second like it’s taunting me, meaning the ecu doesn’t shut down.

Strange that it idles ok, although it’s idling at about 1250rpm when the target is 850rpm at operating temp (might be too low).

Should put some carbs on it.