Commodore discs on a Salisbury diff

Kiwibirdman

can be done. need to change to the disc rear end axle bearing and seals they have a different seal width to accommodate the difference in backing plate thickness, bearings and seal kits from vk v8 sailsbury commodore should work

• Like 2

yeah the axle tube flange ends are the same on both sailsbury  and borg warner diffs,  just  the thickness of the backing plate that affects the bearing/seal depth,  from memory the axle flange offset is the same 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, vk327 said:

can be done. need to change to the disc rear end axle bearing and seals they have a different seal width to accommodate the difference in backing plate thickness, bearings and seal kits from vk v8 sailsbury commodore should work

Thanks. 

From my experience fucking around with fitting different axles/disc brake combinations with Falcon based BW's, the seal height/thickness matters. The seals used in the Ford BW's come in 3 different thicknesses from what I have seen. Two of them are quite close to look at where as the 3rd one is noticeably thicker. Its a trap for players though, but you can tell if what you have fitted is the correct one by pushing and pulling on the axle flange in order to see if there is any backlash evident after its fitted. On a BW there should not be any due to it running tapered bearings. As well as providing a seal for the housing - they provide bearing pre-load. Same deal as a Set20 on a big bearing 9". Just saying.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SOHC said:

I am told the disk brake hand brake calapers are shits of things to

I believe that's one of those urban myths handed down, thrown about, passed on by hearsay, not from actual ownership. My 5c worth anyway. I've had/got the odd pair and some have suffered from sitting for long times out in the elements like anything would. Most of them still had function though. These are getting near 40yrs old now if you are talking BW. Go through them and keep them on a toy that lives in a shed and you'll have no problems. Fucked seals, old moisture laden DOT3 sitting in them and lack of use are what I reckon have given them a bad rep.   

1 hour ago, johnny.race said:

I believe that's one of those urban myths handed down, thrown about, passed on by hearsay, not from actual ownership. My 5c worth anyway. I've had/got the odd pair and some have suffered from sitting for long times out in the elements like anything would. Most of them still had function though. These are getting near 40yrs old now if you are talking BW. Go through them and keep them on a toy that lives in a shed and you'll have no problems. Fucked seals, old moisture laden DOT3 sitting in them and lack of use are what I reckon have given them a bad rep.   

I did a disk brake conversation on my v8 falcon and ended going back to drum, the ford 9” ones are definitely shitty 

3 hours ago, johnny.race said:

The only factory 9" disc brakes I've seen are those ones that came on the Lincoln Versailles. Were the ones that you fitted that sort or something else, out of interest.  

I got them from a wrecker in Auckland in 2004 I don’t know what they came off, I  couldn’t get parts for them.