Jump to content

Kimjon's 50cc (then later ... 150cc and 400cc...then 1000cc) of awesomeness!


Kimjon
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 4 months later...
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked this up. Its actually better than it looks, although several items including the headlight have fallen off it in my short period of ownership.

It was rattling and shaking like a bastatd!! So I went through it tightening up the obvious stuff. It's now 90% better...though I think there's a small bag of marbles loose inside the frame.

20211218_183732.thumb.jpg.5d90d8b63976fa4aae26d3bf081cdb9e.jpg

Now - why would I purchase this, other than for its good looks, you may ask? Well, it sports a pretty wild engine. It started life as a 1977 PX125 Vespa, but now has a 177cc polini kit and port work - making this a very impressive little motor. Pulls hard and is noticeably faster than my other vespas. I think stock the little px125 is about 6hp? These polini kits are getting North of 15hp and it feels it too.

So suffice to say, I'm in love with this little beastie.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

20220205_125937.thumb.jpg.5351e41f44e8c681367fb357f734ccf2.jpg

Motor going in. Fingers crossed at this stage.

Then I set it down...gave it one kick and it fired up straight away into life on the first kick...fuck yeah!!

I've put about 100km on it so far. It's got a lot more power than beforehand. I port matched the top end/intakes. Put Boyesen reeds in it and that's about it. Possibly tighter squish, though I never bothered measuring it? But whatever I did, it's working well.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

20220305_132012.thumb.jpg.9a1ae31f47b9da382939bd881facc60e.jpg

Ready for sandblasting now.

All rust removed, excess holes for 63 years of add on and fuckery all filled with metal. A fair amount of pannel beating done, front end was bent out of shape from previous "friendly nudges" its endured over the years.

I re-upholstered the seat, and strengthened some know weak areas in the frame.

Can't wait to get this to a sandblasted.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

20220422_123536.thumb.jpg.1a83435561d34c81162f844733b765b4.jpg

I managed to find the period correct guards, so pretty stoked about that.

It's now with my sandblaster...so hopefully I'll get it back in a few weeks time, blasted back to bare metal and primed.

The body is really good on this one and I've been over it with a hammer and dolly, so will only require a minimal amount of body work once I get it back.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

20220604_170827.thumb.jpg.23ce2aa5f0910c05b0f70e085d0ccec9.jpg

Only the train spotters will notice, but the PX series has a plastic foot mat on the tunnel. I've always had a hard-on for the early wide frames, which have a couple (aluminum with rubber) channels like the floor board has, but on the tunnel as well (no ugly mat). So I've kinda copied the early models, where I reckon they got it right all those years ago.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...