Jump to content

Kimjon's 50cc (then later ... 150cc and 400cc...then 1000cc) of awesomeness!


Recommended Posts

So, I'm the proud new owner of this2015612434_Screenshot_20200419-203524_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6c5bedcc658ac7ced538e186a67491e0.jpg

Picking it up after lockdown is over.

Not 100% what the plan is, but Google searching has given me a few ideas. I actually like the original version, and a real bonus is the paint colour matches my hair.

So yeah - stay tuned I guess, new project coming to a channel near you soon.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Raizer said:

Vertical Jog engine swap plz.

 

 

Passola is a bit of a masochistic choice, but am interested to see what you do with it

No ones really doing them, so either they suck balls or its pure untapped potential? I'm playing the it's better to fail while trying to innovate, than succeed in copying card.

 

 

 

 

*probably just tidy it up and ride, no innovation required*

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Raizer said:

passola_1980_middle.jpg

 

They are punishing stock, oil bathed chain drive single speed or 2 speed with an extra centrifugal clutch kicking it into 2nd.

Jog engine is a near bolt in, gains power and has a belt driven CVT etc.

This womans about to be liberated! 

Cheers, looks like I've got a lot of learning opportunity ahead of me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kimjon said:

Is that lowered? Its stance is sitting pretty tough! Also what engine did you put in it?

It's just the common qmb139 '50'cc china scooter engine that is basically the same for all cheap chinese scooters. You can get a lot of aliexpress stuff for them 

It is lowered, has no rear suspension any more, it got length added so the head cleared the frame 

It goes a lot better than the original engine but the vibrations are not great on your gentleman's area. Probably not as bad as your harley though haha 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/04/2020 at 22:11, Raizer said:

Vertical Jog engine swap plz.

 

 

Passola is a bit of a masochistic choice, but am interested to see what you do with it

@Raizer do any other scooters share a similar engine, or is there a Chinese clone equivalent out there? I've searched up a few Yamaha Jogs and they seem quite pricey for what they are.

Any ideas welcomed, as this is all new to me. But I can fabricate pretty much anything, so it doesn't have to be a direct bolt in fit.

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kimjon said:

@Raizer do any other scooters share a similar engine, or is there a Chinese clone equivalent out there? I've searched up a few Yamaha Jogs and they seem quite pricey for what they are.

Any ideas welcomed, as this is all new to me. But I can fabricate pretty much anything, so it doesn't have to be a direct bolt in fit.

Thanks

Could look at horizontal Minarelli, Clint got a horizontal wrong-stroke in his so it should be doable.
Found in later Jogs and many Chinese etc 2t scooters.
I'd avoid Suzuki engines.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Raizer said:

Could look at horizontal Minarelli, Clint got a horizontal wrong-stroke in his so it should be doable.
Found in later Jogs and many Chinese etc 2t scooters.
I'd avoid Suzuki engines.

Is it the motor in factory form that sucks, or the drive system...or both?

Could convert to cvt?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raizer said:

Could look at horizontal Minarelli, Clint got a horizontal wrong-stroke in his so it should be doable.
Found in later Jogs and many Chinese etc 2t scooters.
I'd avoid Suzuki engines.

Vmoto Milan would be a good donor here. The scooter body rusts/disintegrates before the motor does. Chuck a 70cc kit and some cvt upgrades on it and away ya go. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kimjon said:

Is it the motor in factory form that sucks, or the drive system...or both?

Could convert to cvt?

The Passola engine is in the same family as the early Jog eninge I was talking about (both are vertical Minarelli engines), but it's much closer to what came in the Razz than the Jog.
Lower power output and you can't just swap to CVT as the chain drive set up is all encased in an oil bath arrangement + the crank has a different output shaft.

If you wanted to stay OG style I actually have a set of cases and crank etc from an early Jog that I was saving to build one day, but I'll likely never do anything with it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Chinese scoot here that could be a good donor. Guy put 70cc kit into it but couldn't get it going good enough to ride it.   I found the thick isolating gasket spacer thing under the carb had a big crack/ hole do huge air leak. 

Only problem be that the rear wheel is a huge wide all terrain type thing. 

I never got it going because it's the most ugly scooter I ever seen in my life.  Happy to get pics if required

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Raizer said:

The Passola engine is in the same family as the early Jog eninge I was talking about (both are vertical Minarelli engines), but it's much closer to what came in the Razz than the Jog.
Lower power output and you can't just swap to CVT as the chain drive set up is all encased in an oil bath arrangement + the crank has a different output shaft.

If you wanted to stay OG style I actually have a set of cases and crank etc from an early Jog that I was saving to build one day, but I'll likely never do anything with it.

 

 

Just now, flyingbrick said:

I have a Chinese scoot here that could be a good donor. Guy put 70cc kit into it but couldn't get it going good enough to ride it.   I found the thick isolating gasket spacer thing under the carb had a big crack/ hole do huge air leak. 

Only problem be that the rear wheel is a huge wide all terrain type thing. 

I never got it going because it's the most ugly scooter I ever seen in my life.  Happy to get pics if required

Thanks both of you for giving your time to reply and for the hook ups for parts offers. I'm interested for sure, but now have a wee bit of knowledge and still near zero understanding. I think I need to get hands on (after lockdown of course) and get this bad-boy going to see what I'm dealing with. Then go from there.

I'm so looking forward to doing this. I had a Suzuki SA50 when I was 20, then I gave it to my wife to be and it left an impression on me. Time to relive my cool days as a scooter rider...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Been sent a couple screenshots of Chey Thompson offering me a couple early Jogs on FB (I deleted my account in beginning of lockdown), would be perfect for an engine donor for this.
/Fix a Jog too

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Kimjon changed the title to Kimjon's 50cc (then later ... 150cc and 400cc...then 1000cc) of awesomeness!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...