Kimjon's 50cc (then later ... 150cc and 400cc...then 1000cc) of awesomeness!

Kimjon

Just now, Raizer said:

Passola 2 or Passola electric was the late spec model with start position on the key.

Your diagram above is for one so not much help.

Your head and tail lights should work as long as the engine is running, they are AC powered direct off the stator, if they aren't either the bulbs are popped or there's another issue, also you'll want a good battery as it acts as the voltage regulator.

My battery is currently disconnected. 

It reads 6.2v on multimeter so I think the battery is all good. 

I have no idea what dumbfuckery has been done to this scooter over the years, but I'm trying to return it to where it should be without adding my own crapness to it.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Raizer said:

What is the wire colours for that plug on the loom?

Same as the tail on the ignition or different?

I'm not sure, when I got it the ignition had all sorts of "jump" wires hooked across various wires connecting them together. I guess the dude was trying to mimic the ignition switch by doing this?

All I did was unplug it, figuring that most motors earth the coil to kill the motor, so by unplugging it the coil wont be earthed. It worked, got spark straight away.

I'm hoping the secret lies in these wiring diagrams.

240536_491938227496184_24066490_o-1.thumb.jpg.e1ba10691e6c6e7450ff06fe137ba6fb.jpg

This one is for the 1980-81 model, which I thought I had. This has that middle switch position that @cletus described 

412763_491938240829516_1576231445_o.thumb.jpg.7560f94044fbb96c98d3fa241f8e9ce3.jpg

This one is for the 82 on models and looks similar.

As I read it (and I'm a total fucktard with all thing electrical). In the following positions:

OFF - black/red wire connected to black wire.

ON - brown and red wires connected

Middle position, which I'm unsure about and not sure if I need this?

So I'm thinking I give that a go using my cheap ignition?

Resized_20200613_085100.jpeg.9179e2915396e6ca64e9d1e804d5ce08.jpeg

Here's my scooter. I've never seen the ignition barrel, so on face value it looks like mine is either ON or OFF, no middle position? Or have I got this wrong and things aren'tquitewhatthey seem?

@cletus is this what yours looks like? In which case I do have a middle position on the switch?

This is like trying to paint a picture of something you've never seen...

Okay.

I did the above, connected to the open and closed circuits on the cheap ignition.

Resized_20200613_110550.jpeg.dd9128659c1c7841deaedc9ba2300aec.jpeg

Resized_20200613_110555.jpeg.617010cb78f4c55d70d4714d27b27bdc.jpeg

Resized_20200613_111342.jpeg.7102492e7e25bdcf237367cd85f5d607.jpeg

Works awesome, as it should. The headlight bulb is blown...but everything else (stop, left, right turn signals and horn) all good.

Now I have a grey wire not connected to anything. I'm picking the very smart engineering team at Yamaha didn't put it there for shits and giggles. So I've just gotta figure out what it does???

Ideas???

• Like 2

Thanks @Raizer and @cletus I've got it sorted now.

Just gotta drill out the dash to fit the new ignition switch and make it look factory fresh again.

It hurts me to butcher it this way, but a new ignition was looking to be somewhere between $150 - $180 delivered to my door, versus this one I got off trademe for about $6 delivered to my door. So no brainer really.

9 hours ago, Muncie said:

Rock on man you and the mrs can have driveway races.

You know it! Funny enough this one is for her. She had an FA50 at university and after riding my passola the other day, said she'd really like a cheap scooter again.

• Like 1

Resized_20200621_150859.jpeg.980fed631824696507631ea38114bdad.jpeg

So, overall a win. Loving the 80's square box look. However I must have learnt a different English language to some trademe sellers?

When someone says "starts and runs ok", I feel it would be a reasonable assumption to think it starts and runs? However what the seller means, it once used to start and run and the last time it did actually start and run was many, many, many years ago because they haven't actually used it in many years... but it shouldn't be too hard for a motorcycle mechanic to fix it and get it going again if you throw enough time and money at it... FFS, if it wasn't so cheap I would have turned around and left without it.

1826104768_Screenshot_20200620-183936_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.7e90442932b1c45a796fb5844de0beba.jpg

Obviously it didn't start, or run, or start and run, or even start and run ok. And the brakes yeah/nah...one doesn't even have a cable, so it must be connected via bluetooth???

I got it home and cleaned the carb, checked for spark, fiddled with a few things...then got it running on engine start after a few hours fetling, but it's not getting any fuel so it doesn't run by itself. It's the vaccum valve on the tank causing the main problem as far as I can tell. So I'll either have to bypass it, or get a new one. But at least it fired up on engine start.

So, looks like a bit more work than I was expecting...but fuck it, you know I'm going to find the time and just get it done.