Kimjon's 50cc (then later ... 150cc and 400cc...then 1000cc) of awesomeness!

Kimjon

On 16/05/2020 at 19:43, Raizer said:

Been sent a couple screenshots of Chey Thompson offering me a couple early Jogs on FB (I deleted my account in beginning of lockdown), would be perfect for an engine donor for this.
/Fix a Jog too

What sort of $?

I still haven't picked up this scooter. Paid for it, but then got locked down and lifes got busy again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Righto, I have said scooter in my posession. Amazingly it can fit inside a hilux canopy standing upright on its kickstand. 

It's tiki touring around the upper north island getting a free ride with me, as I'm up whangarei working. Home tomorrow and will actually see what I've got, as I picked it up at nighttime.

Fuck. Is it wrong to be super excited about a scooter? Like seriously...???

• Like 2

This took all fucking day...I was scratching my head, couldn't get it to run. Had me well fucked to the point of insanity. The last owner gave up on trying to get it going and I was about to as well.That's the problem with shit other people fuck with, you don't know what they've done and you start over thinking and exploring all those possibilities.

But then after 8 hours I stopped for a coffee...and ding!!! Light switch moment!!! Reeds - its gotta be the fucking reed valve.

Resized_20200607_090918.jpeg.c8ced5bc6f091b60e5d4a9b7953eabe8.jpeg

So upon taking it apart I find a stone inside the reed valve holding it open on one side. Honestly if the said stone was 1mm smaller in size it would have gone through the motor. I popped it out, turned the petals over and it fired up and run (awfully) for the first time in god knows how long...yes, yes...YES!!!

Cleaning the low and main jets and emulation tube with a small wire also helped. And then an "Italian tune up" aka drive it like you stole it...and success.

I'll tidy it up and try figure out what giggery has happened to the wiring tomorrow. Someone has made a real mess trying to hotwire it. But it goes...fuck yeah...stoked...

• Like 3

All back together and working pretty good.

Resized_20200607_101344.jpeg.2c06eff222e5fdaf4f69cf08cbcf1950.jpeg

20200607_140324.jpg.38c817c2b89e92317ead7f8e12c94ad1.jpg

Cold starts (as in overnight) are interesting. Only starts with no throttle and dies...and dies...and dies...if you try rev it, and cuts out if you dont. Literally fires up straight away for 2 seconds then dies. Then if you're lucky you can half throttle it and rev it until warmish...and it's good to go.

Hot starting needs about 5 kicks at half throttle and away you go.

But fuck it's cool. Does 50kph on the flat easy, 60kph down a gentle hill then cuts out. Must have a limited?

Just now, Raizer said:

Feeling like a newly liberated woman yet?

Why yes I am. This woman can't keep off it...I keep shooting down the road to see my neighbour - just because. I've put 2 tanks of gas through it.

On day one, I couldn't get it to start. So I made an adaptation to fit a pocket bike carburetor to it. The carb on the passola is only about 13mm ID, but the pocket bike carbs are 19mm. I may review this and give it a go another day. The downfall was it couldn't fit under the factory plastic.

I'm really happy all round with this thing. I've got to get an ignition (key) switch to get the electrical side of things sorted. But yeah...this is all kinds of awesome.

• Like 1

I found this wiring diagram online.

412763_491938240829516_1576231445_o.thumb.jpg.1e739a28ab93477a235d1caf05dffa22.jpg

Now this is what's left of my ignition:

Resized_20200612_211250.jpeg.2885ecd9de37316a3c09fbacbe28233e.jpeg

Now, I've got the bike going which is easy, just disconnecting this enables it to run. To stop it, I lean it over and there must be an oil switch in the oil reservoir that cuts out.

But I want to use the lights, horn, indicators etc, so I need to figure out what wires to connect to each other, as the key would do.

Resized_20200612_211655.jpeg.b140f59e530f64ad099e0c77c2fbc0a1.jpeg

I brought this cheap ignition switch off trademe for $4, and hope to somehow boogie it up.

So anyone good at reading electric diagrams? What wires do I need to connect to make my lights etc work?

Help??? I'm an electrical retard. 

Cant help you because I too am retarded 

But there was a trap with my one which I'm not sure yours has, the ignition switch has 2 positions , start and run... start has a rpm limit so it cant get away on you  

Took me a while to figure why it would idle but not rev  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cletus said:

Cant help you because I too am retarded 

But there was a trap with my one which I'm not sure yours has, the ignition switch has 2 positions , start and run... start has a rpm limit so it cant get away on you  

Took me a while to figure why it would idle but not rev  

Too cold to go out to shed now, but from memory mine has ON and OFF. But I'll check and make sure tomorrow.

Just now, Kimjon said:

Too cold to go out to shed now, but from memory mine has ON and OFF. But I'll check and make sure tomorrow.

Passola 2 or Passola electric was the late spec model with start position on the key.

Your diagram above is for one so not much help.

Your head and tail lights should work as long as the engine is running, they are AC powered direct off the stator, if they aren't either the bulbs are popped or there's another issue, also you'll want a good battery as it acts as the voltage regulator.