Te Urewera Undertaking, 2020 Nov 27th, 28th, 29th.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, HighLUX said:

Its the alternate route but with added length so bout 130kms of gravel all up

Shit yeah I'm so keen! As long as I get to pest in the Awatere river bed for a while I'm chuffed. I did that alone the second year after the roadblock opened and I was on the FX125. Road about 1km up before the road tyres became useless. 

bit of a side track, but I wonder if there is a sweet way to go in/around the whanganui national park, seems like lots of cool tracks around there. along the whanganui river, bridge to somewhere, I see there is Patea dam, although it looks one way, 

Is there a map that shows forestry roads or something?

12 minutes ago, peteretep said:

bit of a side track, but I wonder if there is a sweet way to go in/around the whanganui national park, seems like lots of cool tracks around there. along the whanganui river, bridge to somewhere, I see there is Patea dam, although it looks one way, 

Is there a map that shows forestry roads or something?

It's all DOC land so access is very limited. Boat access only to most places

Whanganui River Road to Pipiriki would be lush, then a bit of gravel out to Raetihi. The Patea Dam (Lake Rotorangi) is also rad but bit of a dead end. 

Think the deepest you could penetrate (heh) the hinterland would be Old Whanga Road and the Bridge to Somewhere on the western side, accessed from Forgotten Highway. Again nothing links up to the other side and deffs no roads in place as its native forest/DOC land. 

• Like 1

The bridge to somewhere is accessible by genuine road from strathmore, and outside lambing season you used to be able to do old whanga road into whangamomona from there. 10-15 years back it was proper trail bike territory on old whanga road though from 4wd damage, I imagine its worse now. Google doesn't show it as a road at all, but basically it follows the whangamomona river.

I've been putting together a theoretical loop from new plymouth. Might have to go exploring some time and see if the roads are open right through. Only ones I'm not sure about are kiwi road, and kaka road.

https://goo.gl/maps/bYdTu5BycCAYnGo4A

EDIT: Slight route tweak

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, anglia4 said:

That would be an epic mish over a weekend. Does Ohura still have prison backpackers ?

PPSC have tried to get a ride through Forgotten Highway off the ground but its a bit of a drive to go for reccy to make sure google doesnt send us to Deliverence spec woolsheds in the middle of nowhere 

• Like 1