• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ajg193 said:

It's actually an easy car to work on.

Yeah I'm calling fake news on that.

The time that a team of OS boes had a working bee on it, I was actually amazed by how user unfriendly the whole thing was. 

To get to anything, you had to remove 12345678 other things. And each bit required 123556 other bits to be taken off first. 

As I recall, to replace the rear seal of the gearbox, resulted in us needing to remove the exhaust manifold from the motor, and unbolt the entire exhaust system. 

We owned an Anglia estate when I was a kid, (it had belonged to my grandparents) and I recall dad saying that everything got in the way of everything else when working on it.  His folks bought it in '67 when it was almost a new car. But by the end it had been repowered by a 1500pcf, bored out to 1540. 

• Like 1

I stayed away from the gearbox (it still leaks)

The only part I encountered that was a bit of a bugger was the draft tube mount. They make it use a bellhousing bolt. The thing is that the tube gets in the way of the spanner and you can't fit a ratchet in there as the fuel pump is in the way.

But if I compare it to the abortion spec complexity of my EFI system it is a walk in the park.

The problem with that exhaust system is the person who put it together. A couple of flanges in places would have made life a lot better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ajg193 said:

But if I compare it to the abortion spec complexity of my EFI system it is a walk in the park.

The problem with that exhaust system is the person who put it together. A couple of flanges in places would have made life a lot better.

That's how ford made them. The zhorst would have been installed before the rear axle most likely.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, ajg193 said:

Tbh he's putting everyone on this forum to shame. We should all be doing this sort of trip more often

I did one similar not that long ago and another similar not long before that along with several other forum members. 

So ahh..  Not true?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kyteler said:

Potentially, people should be getting out more for sure but there's many limiting factors some mentioned above. 

I'd love to be retired so I could drive around constantly though. 

How good? 

Id just like to have a job that meant I could daily my shit, but still get free gas..... 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2021 at 20:52, ajg193 said:

Tbh he's putting everyone on this forum to shame. We should all be doing this sort of trip more often

19 hours ago, kyteler said:

I did one similar not that long ago and another similar not long before that along with several other forum members. 

So ahh..  Not true?

I did Alexandra to Whangarei in a 40 year old lancer that hadn't been driven in  5 year

• Like 3

Good run eh. 

I don't think it's that surprising though. If a car is in OK shape then there's no real reason for them to conk out on long trips. Just keep an eye on the oil and coolant. 

I seldom take tools along these days, just cross fingers and go.

• Like 4