ANTON's Angrybox yarns

felixx

Maybe the auditor was there that day.

But yeah, lathe is an absolute must have tool in any garage. The problem is that it requires a shit load of tooling to make it useful enough to not need other machines alongside it.

I was hoping to start on @Bling's job this evening but the anglia ended up taking longer than I expected

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

I'd say the brakes were just a little glazed, they are in good physical condition.

I'm just amazed that the WoF shop let them through with the level of imbalance.

Drum brakes are just shit, difference between hot and cold can give imbalance, I wouldn't get too antsy with the wof station over it.

$20 on them being out again next week.

• Like 4

Yeah missing a fuel leak is droping the ball pretty bad.

Depends how they test break's i guess. If its just by driving down the road and relies on the mechanics experience/option. And can vary.  But yes i agreee that a bad brake imbalance is also dropping the ball pretty hard. 

I understand leaniancy around minor rust or lights or whatnot.

But major saftey issues need to be adressed 

Ok so here's what we do with drum brakes. We don't have a brake roller at work so on light stuff it's purely based on whether it pulls or locks a wheel when it shouldn't. On the heavy stuff that requires a CoF it has to go to VTNZ, which do have a roller.

So we take the vehicle for a spin and get the brakes nice and warm. 9/10 times once they're hot, the imbalance is gone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Apparently the hole the shaft runs in was just left as cast rather than machined by armstrong, some of the rebuilt ones you get just have some rubber washers rtv'd in place under a steel washer

the good ones have the hole actually machined (60 years on they are usually egg shaped) and a stainless sleeve put in with a surface for a modern seal to be installed.

did you notice how to make it an adjustable dampener shock?

Adjustable Shock Absorbers

Armstrong Adjustable Rear Shocks[1].jpg

• Like 4

I'm probably going to keep the adjustability standard but I intend to bore out the hole and make some bushings for the shaft.

I don't have any seals and tomorrow everything is closed so I will make some out of acetal or similar tomorrow and get modern seals afterwards.

ive been going to that wof shop for years, and had nothing but excellent service. as confirmed by felix it sounds like the brakes are probably just shit old british brakes and move in and out of balance, they also just put in a brand new brake roller machine and given thats a pass/fail percentage of inballance and not a personal opinion thing i know who id side with. and as for the fuel leak, its my personal experience several times that you dont have a fluid leak onto an exhaust manifold without knowing about it within about 10 minutes after it occurring, so id pack it in with blaming a wof shop and accept that its a 60s British car and not a 2015 corolla. things are gonna spring leaks and the shitty drum brakes are gonna be shitty. 

ill keep taking all my cars, my wife will keep going there and my brother and parents will still keep going there. its the only wof shop ive come across that actually keep up with the rules and will have a conversation if you contest something. hell they even rang nzta to confirm some stuff about the seat belts in the chevron, which as it turned out, when i personally phoned evan at chevron, i was wrong about and they were right.

when i was in there getting the crown its wof they were telling me about the current crack down on lifted SUVs and how most of them are fucking aweful. so it sounds like that other guys surf was probably caught up in that, plus id bet a large amount of money that the stickers on the windows were exceeding the 100mm rule, im all for stickers, but if they break the rules then you have to expect at some point itll get pinged. 

• Like 2

A few other, less safety critical things that they let through on the car:

-rear muffler made of rust holes
-widened steel wheels with no paperwork or cert (nice wheels though)
-front tyres with no tread grooves left in the middle section
-rear shock absorber still leaking

There's probably more, but I'm not too concerned.

I can say with absolute certainty that the fuel leak wasn't the sort that just appeared after the test.

• 2 weeks later...