Rear leaf spring shackle angle

M.H.

I had the leaf springs for my Isuzu reset by archers in rotorua but now the shackle angle is up the shit making them invert

Have the springs been curved too much?

Full drop

Fdrk57y.jpg

Sitting on the ground

qqowqgk.jpg

Try it with the shock in, if it still does it you might need to cut the spring shackle mount off and move it, or get a longer leaf made, or if its borderline, make a 'stopper' to prevent it over centering like it has in the photo 

Common problem for Isuzus 

• Like 1

They were reset for some more lift, I asked for it to be about 50mm but it seems to be a lot more than that

Just now, cletus said:

Try it with the shock in, if it still does it you might need to cut the spring shackle mount off and move it, or get a longer leaf made, or if its borderline, make a 'stopper' to prevent it over centering like it has in the photo 

Common problem for Isuzus 

Having paid for them to be reset I'm not too keen on forking out for another set of springs. When moving the shackle mount how should the shackle be positioned at full drop?

Just now, 00quattro00 said:

They were reset for some more lift, I asked for it to be about 50mm but it seems to be a lot more than that

Have you measured it with the shackle positioned correctly yet? The way it is in the photo, it will be higher than it would be with the shackles in the right spot

you might need to give them ''encouragement'' with a pry bar as you lower the ute onto its wheels to get the shackles to go the right way, then fit the shocks, id be surprised if factory length shocks would let the suspension go far enough to over center the shackles

Just now, cletus said:

if that's with all the weight on, it looks wrong, like the springs have been raised too much

Yep that's flat on the ground, although the back of this weights fuck all

Put the rear shocks in, they just fit as it sits in the pic

This is how it's sitting at the moment, there is no engine or box in it at the moment so the front is at max height

Al0Du6H.jpg

Just now, 00quattro00 said:

Just managed to get them to go the right way with a bit of help from a big bar. I'll dig out the shocks and refit them, i didn't think having shocks in would make any difference

bcDkQ6t.jpg

As it sits in the photo 

Is that the height you want it? 

Or is it still to high

As far as height goes I've still got to fit the wide front suspension I have for it out of a widebody bighorn so that will bring the front up a bit and then I guess the springs will sag a little bit but no idea by how much.

I had them done by archers in rotorua last year in October or November, just getting around to putting them in now, a bit annoyed with them with how they ripped me on the courier fees to send them back.

Did you answer the height question? 

When I got the Samurai springs done they did them too high almost as bad as that. I took every second leaf out of a 5 leaf pack. Was like that for about a year until they came down, then I put one leaf back in. Was sweet. 

If you want that height, get a new longer main leaf made. 

As far as cert goes , the suspension should droop down 40mm from ride height,  ie if you jack it up via the chassis,  the wheels should come down 40mm minimum. Sometimes needs to be more, depends how it drives. 

However 40mm droop is fuck all for a 4wd and it will probably be worse than stock off road 

If it was me I'd wait until you have the rest sorted, engine in , front suspension stuff done, and see where you need to go from there  

• Like 1