• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yea pretty much - I went through 4 below average bonnets before finding anything good enough to restore.

The one on it is not correct for the year or series, it should have small bulge and vents (series 1), but paying $2.5k for one of those before you even start repairing it is ridiculous

Even still the one I have has cost me a fortune by the time it was done, and tbh, I gave up caring about being correct a while ago, I just needed to finish the car 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fair enough - 2.5k is a lot for a bonnet!!!!  Either way, car looks amazing.

I was going through pics I've got and trying to figure out which bonnets would belong on what car.  Not many of the pics I've got would have 'correct' bonnets fitted to the year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldrx7 said:

Fair enough - 2.5k is a lot for a bonnet!!!!  Either way, car looks amazing.

I was going through pics I've got and trying to figure out which bonnets would belong on what car.  Not many of the pics I've got would have 'correct' bonnets fitted to the year.

2 big design flaws make them pretty hard to find in good condition.

They have rust traps along the front of the inner frame where the hinge reinforcing is. Traps shit and the frame rots through.

And the bonnet stay setup. When the plastic roller fails, the bonnet stay doesn't work, so people over-tilt the bonnet which either stresses the frame and pops the old brittle glue off the skin along front, leaving it to flap around and eventually stress crack, or the over-tilting just buckles the outer skin.

Looks great Kelly. How much work did they have to do to the bonnet in the end? Was it a 'skin off frame' job or not that bad?

• Like 2

You are right about the design flaws, they are prone to separating at the front as they are just bonded, and can open up at high speed.

The first bonnet I had I split and dipped, but found it full of pin holes in the outer skin where the frame bonding was applied and just pitted out from the inside. I wasn't keen to go down that potential road again.

But to be fair, this was a fairly good south island bonnet, needed some welding done to repair cracks and a small amount of damage, biggest issue was it was oil-canning badly, but all was able to be repaired without having to split.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...