SU HS6 carbie - physical dimensions

Flash

Is there anyone out there in oldschool land who has a loose SU HS6 carbie lying around and is able to take some quick measurements off it for me.

I'm needing to confirm the measurement from the lowest point (bottom of float bowl) to the centre of the mounting flange and then the highest point (top of pot) to centre of mounting flange.

I'd be really grateful for any help.

Ta in advance.

Thanks for stepping in Lump, my bad I should have mentioned that the HS6 is the 1 3/4 inch.

KWS that chart of yours is perfect for what I need to work out, so thanks for sharing.

The HIF version that Bryan has mentioned is the newer generation carbie that has the integrated float bowl. The HIFs are metric so the desired model would be a HIF44.

Valiant and JustHarry, thanks for the offers to take measurements. Hang on for now as I should be able to work out what I need from the chart kws shared. If not I'll get back to you.

If my plan works out does anyone have a spare HS6 or HIF44 that they would be willing to sell ? 

12 hours ago, sr2 said:

I've got a collection of HS6 carbs (they look sooooo good on a Holden 6!). I can have a look and possibly will have a spare you could grab. Where are you?

Thanks Simon, if you do have a spare I'd be very keen. I'm based in Aus, but happy to wear the extra freight costs as SUs are pretty thin on the ground here. Let me know how you go. Cheers Gordon

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Thanks Simon, if you do have a spare I'd be very keen. I'm based in Aus, but happy to wear the extra freight costs as SUs are pretty thin on the ground here. Let me know how you go. Cheers Gordon

If all else fails, try the P76 or Marina Facebook groups, HS6 was standard on the Aussie Marina, Tasman and 6-cylinder P76.

10 hours ago, Flash said:

I'll have a look over the weekend, may have to wait for the level 4 lock-down to end before sending.

8 hours ago, locost_bryan said:

If all else fails, try the P76 or Marina Facebook groups, HS6 was standard on the Aussie Marina, Tasman and 6-cylinder P76.

Good point, there's also a few Aussie released cars that ran side-draft Strombergs?

Hi mate - just had a big hunt through the HS6 spares bin. I’ve got 3 brand new ‘old stock’ that are waiting for a Holden Red 6 project (see

and another rather worn out 3 that are waiting for me to buy a decent single phase mill for the legendary sr2 man cave; the intention is to convert the worn out HS6’s into ‘stealth injected’ throttle bodies  (i.e. hidden fuel rails, injectors,…etc.) so I can eventually inject my favourite Red six while retaining the ‘sucky noise’ and the sexy  visuals of 3x  1¾ “ SU’s).I do however have enough 2nd hand bits to put together a carb for you; no expense mate, full respect for your project – I’m a sucker for clever and innovative solutions for problems that never existed in the first place! We’ll just have to wait for this damn level 4 lockdown to be over. One proviso however is that it will be a mismatched collection of bits with flogged out throttle spindle bushes (the Achilles heel of the SU), they are expensive to refurbish.

Out of the square all I can think of is injection, injection, injection,…

A few years back I got roped into helping with a carb to TBI conversion on a Holden Red powered, (there’s a familiar ring here) & seriously out there Series 2? Landy bush- truck.  The idea was to fit an EA single point injection with a Link ERCU calling the shots. (I mentioned this in another thread so apologies if I repeat myself).

The Achilles heel of the EA single point injection was the archaic Denso ECU, the actual throttle body setup wasn't bad at all. I fitted one a few years back to a Holden Red powered Landrover bush truck with an early Link (fuel only). I did however have access to someone familiar with Link ECU’s who provided a wiring diagram and did the tune (I did all the plumbing, wiring and fabrication).  The EA TBI comes with a built in fuel pressure regulator and throttle position sensor and from memory all we used was a map sensor, lambda, inlet temp and a simple rpm feed from the distributor. The improvement in power, cold starting, idling & economy were hard to ignore.

I got the idea from a 13 year old post about fitting a similar setup (with a Megasquirt ECU) to a petrol powered landcruiser.  The beauty of the EA single point injection throttle body is that you can run it downdraft, sidedraft or even updraft and it won’t know the difference!

http://www.mq-patrol.com/wiki/engine-p40/efi-conversion/

The big thing you’d have access to is the experts on the Oldschool  ‘DIY Fuel injection thread’, I sure those guys could help?

TBI.JPG.2af814f5c3ee18a9eb56b29ee569e58e.JPG

• Like 3

Hey Simon, thanks heaps for taking the time to look through your stash and also for offering to put together a HS6 for me. I also appreciate the details that you have put together on the EA TBI conversion. Funnily enough last week during one of my internet meanders I came across a crowd in the UK who have done a HS6 conversion  to an old Landy that was previously running a dirty old Zenith. What piqued my interest was the setup of their inlet manifold adapter as it got me thinking that I could make a similar adapter with the carb sitting towards the centre of the 4Y thus getting me the clearance that I lack in order to retain the standard engine cover on the Thames. Pic of the Landy setup below.

I've spent the past few days getting my HiAce donor running. Set the timing today and she is surprisingly sweet even with the dirty old standard 4Y carbie on her. Makes me sorry that I can't run her as is, but there is just no way I can squeeze that carbie in.

Getting back to your TBI suggestion, I know very little about setting one up, but like you say I have the combined knowledge of many oldschoolers to fall back on. I'll definitely do a bit more homework on the subject, so thanks for the suggestion.  

single SU on adapter for LandRover.jpg

• Like 2