Bearded Baldy's 1985 Mitsi L200 Discussion Thread

Just now, Bearded Baldy said:

Ok guys n girls.

What diff heads will fit in the old turd?

I am guessing any of the l200/pajeros up to the mid 90s, when all the platforms changed.

Ideally want a 3.9 lsd.

Pretty much. I put a 2nd gen LSD in mine, it's 4.22 but suits me. Starion ones fit

• Like 1

Cool truck! love the wheels :-).

Only the later Starion stuff (5 stud) with the bigger 8" CW will fit, the earlier 4 stud stuff (more common in NZ) is the smaller 7.25" CW.

Finding 3.9 gears for the 8" stuff is a might tricky. Early L200 sport models had them. I put 3.5's (from a widebody starion out of the states) and a 2nd gen LSD head in mine though as I wanted better highway cruising. The 3.9's that were in mine were pretty worn out and noisy. With the smaller tyres on it putting the taller diff in it has corrected the speedo which is excellent :-).

• Like 1

On 03/04/2020 at 14:42, tortron said:

yeah mine was out by about that for 20 years from when it was certed

these were sold as dodge ram 50's / d50s in the states. so cheap parts off rock auto

www.mightyram50.net if you haven't seen it yet

Have been lurking on mightyram for the last month or so, that is where the long term turbo swap idea stemmed from.

Will definately check out rock auto too.

ProZac re the wheels, i usually do not go for white writing on my tires, my 4x4s i have the tires showing blackwalls. But this ute just seems to suit it so will get similar when they need replacing.

Good info on the starion gear, when this lockdown is over i will put the word out amongst my suppliers. I have a suspicion a local-ish one has some early 80s stock hiding in a far corner of the yard.

If they have more than one 3.909:1 8" CW&P setup, let me know, keen for my Starion GSR-V clone project.

Nah, I dont reckon the 7 bolt (RVR) motors are as bad as they make out, not if you keep it maintained and aren't asking huge power from an internally standard motor. They do make the install easier having the timing gear on the front of the engine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ProZac said:

If they have more than one 3.909:1 8" CW&P setup, let me know, keen for my Starion GSR-V clone project.

Nah, I dont reckon the 7 bolt (RVR) motors are as bad as they make out, not if you keep it maintained and aren't asking huge power from an internally standard motor. They do make the install easier having the timing gear on the front of the engine.

Will keep you in mind when i ring them after this shitshow is over.

Would not be looking for insane power, poor ute would not be able to put it all down anyway.

2.5 inch exhaust, front mount behind the grill. Should make for a fun trip to the dump.

Might start looking around, see how much people are asking.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, tortron said:

Check that seam on the wheel well and floor and the seams under your bonnet on the firewall

(Also everything else because mitsi)

Yeah firewall seam is ugly in the corners, which means if i start digging it will be ugly across the whole thing. So i am not digging yet. Wheel arch seam looks ok on passengers side, drivers side was average so cleaned it up while i was there.

Panelwork is not my area of expertise, in any way shape or form.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, ProZac said:

You might find with the sport dash and tacho your high-beam light on the dash doesnt work. Its a simple fix, I've got pics somewhere.

I have not checked that yet. Will do today if i can sort these motors out without stringing myself up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/06/2020 at 21:10, Unclejake said:

You may have seen this already, but if not perhaps it's of interest to you (or is possibly yours already. Dunno).  

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/wrecked-cars/auction-2663748839.htm?rsqid=b3bf486211f84a99a596d6f9ead3c081-001

Cheers for the heads up, that ute is not mine, bloody close though. Might get made to sleep outside if i brought a 3rd one home this soon lol

• 1 year later...

On 22/05/2021 at 13:31, Bearded Baldy said:

Have been delaying going into the garage as i have alot of gear to go through and clean out. Decided this morning to start stripping down the turbo motor i got for the ute last year.

Was told it just needed a set of bearings. That was bullshit.

Crank is shot, 2 out of 4 rods are out of shape. Called it a day and have started looking for bits.

Anyone have a 7bolt 4g63 crank and set of rods lying around? I'm not flexible or pretty but willing to negotiate.

20210522_112657_copy_1496x1496.thumb.jpg.68ff155d4185b45e4d61ad98b492c567.jpg

20210522_112708_copy_1496x1496.thumb.jpg.bcfd0eb9e566417634be846a4db47b00.jpg

20210522_110457_copy_1496x1496.thumb.jpg.8bd9c74251e7ceb119763265b48290eb.jpg

20210522_110542_copy_1496x1496.jpg

If you are after a small displacement bump the cranks and rods from the 4g69 motors will fit, rods are a little small from the 4g69 but are fine for modest power goals and are from memory lighter then the factory evo/turbo rods

However should be pretty easy to get at most wreckers as they are in lancers and outbacks

• Like 1