Dmulally's 1985 Mitsi L200

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the diff and driveshaft fitted up, new brakes and back on the ground. Made mk1 bracket to mount fuel pump and wired up nicely with relay and hidden trigger feed as an immobiliser.

Have a few days off this week coming so hope to get it plumbed up and testdrive it by the time i go back to work.

20220402_162818_copy_2000x1500.thumb.jpg.bd49bdb7fd43daa11cc56d93bcfd2f62.jpg

20220402_162805_copy_2000x1500.jpg

• Like 7

Test drive report is a success.

Left wheel was grabbing slightly on the brakes so backed it off a touch and primo.

Rh side backing plate must have gotten a tweak on the way home and was catching on the drum when turning sharp. Drum off and found the highspot nice and shiny. Fixed via percussive maintenance.

Currently blocked in with wifes car so will test drive again tomorrow with gps to verify speedo.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 9

• 1 year later...

Never got around to test driving.

Started tidying up the drive belts as they were at max, then found a serious water leak from the bottom of the inlet manifold.

Which then led to me closing the bonnet until today...

Minus 3 at 7am meant i waited until 10am to go outside, took off the carby and adapter, dizzy and manifolds and started cutting new gaskets. Cleaned up a spare manifold and tapped/fitted the coolant plug again. Got distracted looking for some hylomar and ended up working on a knife project for a few hours. 

Managed to borrow some sealant from a neighbour so got 90% of it together just as it got dark.

See ya'll in 12 months for the next update.

• Like 7

The problem.

20230730_124813.thumb.jpg.fe0e87c9f5789ef3accf16718fde64ef.jpg

Intake bits are back together now, have removed the alternator bracket and slotted the holes out 1/2 inch as the alternator sits high enough the lower run of the belt was catching the oil pump cover. Someones 90% effort on relocating the alternator in the past by the looks. Need to replace the earth lead on my welder so i can fill in the original holes.

After ignoring the ute for so long it feels good to be making progress. Lets see how long it lasts.

• Like 6

• 6 months later...

Cheers, Mike. Thanks for letting me groom you for a year in order to get this thing. Loved it since I first saw it. 

Getting ready for a WOF so I can take my much abused chev off the road to give it a diesel conversion. First thing to fix was a pinhole leak in a heater pipe. No idea what it's called so if anybody knows let me know so I can pinch a new one. I think the engine is a 4G52. Dunno. I'm learning on the job with this mitsi. Mike I'm sure told me but I forgot. 

Pinhole.thumb.jpg.fc38eae0ad1e59ed80b6debf83164e30.jpg

After a bit of linishing it showed up a couple of holes. 

Pinhole2.thumb.jpg.72c8c1c8cf407b3b616f90a384137c4e.jpg

I just put the tig on a low setting and poured some filler rod into and around it to goop up the whole area. Can't say I trust it that much but it is holding water so far and it's temporary. 

Pinhole1.thumb.jpg.9eafbc5f8df04a20e10e0bdb3d097b65.jpg

I have dropped the wheels off for a new set of shoes to be put on and this evening I'll plug up a rust hole in the B pillar. It's paper thin there so I might have to get creative so I'm not chasing my tail blowing holes all over the show. 

• Like 4

Passed the wof no worries. But rather annoyingly I took it for a decent spin today to get some light fencing supplies and by the time I got home the replacement power steering pump was making the same noises as the one I shitcanned. Which is pretty frustrating as it is apparent that something is causing it to eat pumps and I have no idea what. It seemed to be a little slack so I tightened it up and although it fixed it at low speeds it was still there when turning. Gah. Might have to look for a manual box as this sounds like a project!

L200 trip.jpg

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still need to sort out the belt situation at the front. Needs a full redesign but one of those things where it still works so I keep driving it and I am resisting the urge to make it into a project before I absolutely have to. I should probably pick up a spare long block and take bits off it to swap it all over. Maybe when the Imp is on the road. 

Anyway this weekend I managed to put 600kms on the clock driving all over the shop to the bush block for mowing and more trips than I would have liked to get gravel for an underground greenhouse I'm building presently. It can fit 1/4 cube of 20mm pebble in the tray so I just took the trailer which can take half a cube. As the fuel gauge is sketchy I took some figures down and it gets 13l/100kms pulling a load. I'm guessing it'll be much better with no load but already it's nearly twice as good as the chev. 

Loader.jpg

Trailer.jpg

• Like 8