Dmulally's 1985 Mitsi L200

Have been dicking around with other projects lately.

Finished swapping inlet/carb and linkages on the rideon so i can mow the lawns the lazy way after 2 years of procrastinating.

Built a brazier from some old rims and when cutting the opening covered the good ute in sparks. Rained overnight and now the ute has freckles over the roof and one door. F$#@^#@%=#!

Rebuilt the combo switch and tested. That worked at least.

Stripped, cleaned and checked the numbers of the carb i got from @Sambo, will order new jets etc one day now i know what i need. Have a transdapt adaptor for the swap whenever that happens. Nice bit of kit to be honest.

Have not moved either white ute or parts ute, since the last photo. Been procrasting fixing the combo switch, now thats done i should just go for a drive somewhere.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Carby rebuilt with various new bits, set it all up for 2l baseline, new jets etc... realised i forgot to order a new choke pulloff unit so will do that monday.

Might have sold the deck off the parts ute, too cheap but needing the funds for more parts buying so hoping guy turns up next week.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Bloody hell just looked at the date from the last post, haven't done anything to the ute since october aside from a few runs up n down the street to keep the battery charged.

Got daughter outside with me this morning and we swapped the carbs over. Did a bit of cutting and grinding of the factory cable mounts and throttle wheel, drilled/tapped out the coolant port in the manifold and glued in a bung.

Testfired and it runs, will fill with water after lunch and warm it up, set mixture etc. Have bypassed the water choke for now, no need for it over summer anyway. Pics to follow.

• Like 1

Well yeah

20201231_143018_copy_2244x2244.thumb.jpg.4331d89239d34a3ccef524bd43d4a11c.jpg

But nah

20201231_143025_copy_2244x2244.thumb.jpg.fd1c268d6cd96c17642ce9555de70709.jpg

Not sure what i ran this one on, possibly my falcon when it had the single barrel stromberg? Or i swapped the weber base with one of the guys and got this in return.

Oh well, best be ordering a new one next week. Already loving how much freeer the engine feels, haven't messed with timing yet just warmed it up and set mixture by ear.

When i get back to work i will play some more, but for now ooohhh boy i forgot how the old webers sound with no airbox. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Shit yeah wof passed as expected, will need a set of tires for the next one as these have perished.

Cleaned up the plugs on the back of the instrument cluster as the guages have been playing up lately, bumped the timing up a bit too, working through the list of jobs to do. Diff swap to better ratio is the next big one.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Have been delaying going into the garage as i have alot of gear to go through and clean out. Decided this morning to start stripping down the turbo motor i got for the ute last year.

Was told it just needed a set of bearings. That was bullshit.

Crank is shot, 2 out of 4 rods are out of shape. Called it a day and have started looking for bits.

Anyone have a 7bolt 4g63 crank and set of rods lying around? I'm not flexible or pretty but willing to negotiate.

20210522_112657_copy_1496x1496.thumb.jpg.68ff155d4185b45e4d61ad98b492c567.jpg

20210522_112708_copy_1496x1496.thumb.jpg.bcfd0eb9e566417634be846a4db47b00.jpg

20210522_110457_copy_1496x1496.thumb.jpg.8bd9c74251e7ceb119763265b48290eb.jpg

20210522_110542_copy_1496x1496.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 6 months later...

Have been putting off doing anything to the utes for a long time, funds and inspiration are lacking. Pushed bluey onto the mowed part of the lawn tonight and lightly buffed the label on the diff. 3.909 ratio!

Will jack it up this week and pull the diff out, put it on the white ute and take it to work for the xmas break.

Be nice to work on things without interuptions. New axle bearings, brakes, and a rattlecan resto on the housing is the plan.

• Like 2

Well shit, that escalated quickly.

Got it on the bench at work and took the axles out. Looked like relatively fresh grease on them, feel smooth enough too. But what can only be described as mud on the splines. Hmmm

Looked at the pinion trying to decide whether or not to spin it and ruin my day. Pinion bearing growly as the dog.

Pulled the head out and checked it over. Bit of wear and pitting on the teeth, all bearings rooted. Have it all stripped down waiting on a waterblast now. No rush as the first place to price bearings came in near 460 dollars which ain't happening this xmas.

IMG-cc3d3af9fcdef7418ef023a4722eb2c2-V_copy_1687x2999.thumb.jpg.ade6479e614ac4a9735994933beb978c.jpg

Will let my fingers do the walking tomorrow. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cut new gasket from a manila folder and ready to go.

20220311_074358_copy_1500x1125.thumb.jpg.08926fa887238cc85cfd818bd26d556b.jpg

Whole lot is now assembled on the bench, was a bit of dicking around setting the axle float with limited shims. Ended up blocksanding one of the thicker ones to get everything right. Now to get the ute into work and fit everything up.

• Like 9