Dmulally's 1985 Mitsi L200

One of my projects for the lockdown.

Bought at the start of march possibly the biggest wof list i have ever seen. Have been over it and can only think they were trying to drum up work. Failed every joint and bush in the steering, so i replaced the idler arm bushes and presto only a smidge of play left in the pitman arm. Failed all leaf/shackle bushes for 'cracking' but only actually needed shackles so replaced them.
They passed the visible smoke coming from the motor however, not sure how as it is toast. With the help of some thin rope i replaced the valve stem seals on a wing and a prayer. Did not change f all.

Scored a 4g63 sohc to drop in that needee a headgasket, pulled head and checked over, clean enough for a slap together build. Waiting on head gasket to turn up so have got it jacked up waiting on me to remove the control arms for a sandblast and paint. Can't rush these things though.

20200326_192220-1032x774.jpg

• Like 5

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Headgasket arrived today so head is bolted on and ready to go...or not.

Started swapping brackets between the still fitted engine and the replacement, turns out one of the pressed in vacuum fittings has been snapped off the manifold.

Beer o clock then time to go through my brass fitting collection and see if i have something to suit.

20200404_170120-1238x1651.jpg

Clearly that was going to be too big for the vacuum line so on to plan b.

Drill out hole to 4mm, flare a piece of 3/16 brake tubing, turn down end of tubing with mini lathe (cordless drill in reverse and a file), smear with brush on electrical tape (cannot find my shellac anywhere), and tap into hole with greatly oversized hammer.

Et Viola

20200404_173127-1238x1651.jpg

20200404_173325-1238x1651.jpg

• Like 7

Slowly making progress, other bits and pieces around the place have stolen my attention. Sandblasted and primed one arm. Will get the matt black treatment later.

Have not settled on a colour for the springs yet. It will be either yellow, blue or black as that is what i have under the shelf. Leaning towards yellow as it may hide the inevitable cracking and rust.

20200407_134024-1238x1651.jpg

Both arms and inner guard on one side ready for reassembly. Blasted and painted the pulleys too while i had the cabinet going.

Settled on yellow for the springs, turned out ok. Will look tidier for the pink sticker check anyway.

Might put it together tomorrow and strip the other side. Can do the pitman arm and adjust the steering box while i am in there.

20200409_145934-1238x1651.jpg

• Like 2

Cleaning up the inner guard before spraying some underseal around, and reassembling the suspension, until i found a problem.

Best i do something about this, a bit scared to dig the dirt off the cab mount incase Tortron has not gone into mass production yet.

Good thing i have plenty of time.

20200416_141036-1238x1651.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Damn scoria driveway. Patch is in. F$%king stones. Need to get a decent helmet, my old split level is a bit big for fitting in wheel arches apparently.

Not as neat as other OSers work but neat enough for me, a grinder and underseal will pretty it up. No photos as i am done lying on the ground for today, forgot how much weld spatter in the armpit hurts.

• Like 1

Managed to get most of it ground back today, before the battery ran out in the grinder and i could not be arsed grabbing the power cord off the shelf to do it with old faithful.

Cannot find my flapdiscs anywhere either which is a pain.

20200421_164933-1238x1651.thumb.jpg.89d1b47333400784908e4e612223a433.jpg

Still waiting on my underseal to turn up so as usual no panic to complete it around here.

• Like 2

Box from RockAuto turned up this afternoon, cannot fault that service, 9 days and it was rural delivery too.

Put one front shock in before tea, still waiting on underseal before i put the other side back together.

At this rate the parts i ordered from sparesbox may arrive before work opens up in 2 weeks so might have more whiteline to instal. Will drive a bit different compared to the mess i drove home. 

Side note, sparesbox took 8 days to pack my order, do not recommend them if you are in a hurry. Price and shipping price were both good though.

Early night before dawn service tomorrow, will wake the neighbours with Reveille at full noise from the shed radio. Lest we forget.

• Like 2

Progress. Called my supplier today about the underseal, they called the couriers and chased it up.

Has been sitting at the local depot since monday last week. Courier read the business name and decided we were closed, dick did not read the delivery address which was my house.

Managed to have it delivered to a neighbours work and have it here finally. So tomorrow i can spray a layer or 2 then reassemble the suspension and get ready for the motor swap. Yeehaw.

• Like 2

3rd no photo update, better get my act together.

Both wheel arches and front floors nice and blacked out with underseal, got the cheap and nasty motortech stuff, actually seems like it will do the job.

Definately has the right health warnings on the back haha.

Hoping to final reassembly tomorrow, it depends on whether the seal needs another coat. Should be mint.

Need to finish this ute so i can get my new diff into the falcon, so then i start ute stage 2 on the workbench.

Oh, found a blast from the past when i was looking for other bits. Hey thats a photo!20200418_131833-1238x1651.thumb.jpg.150996314c13696a3db8ce163ed4c971.jpg

• Like 2