Mitch's 91 BMW R80

Mitch.W

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

picked up my gasket kit for the motor last night, hooned that in and gave the motor a few coats of black, didn't come out as good as I wanted but its done now. 

Then today I started assembly of the bike for the last time, got the wiring loom in, motor and gearbox and seat and tank. really hanging out for my peanut valve covers to arrive too as I can't stand the standard ones. 

2iOp6Gi.jpg

got my tires ahwhile back, after heaps of back and forwards I decided on some TKC80's for maximum trendiness  and got them mounted up, was super chuffed with how they were looking and then tonight I went to put the front wheel on and well.. the front doesn't fit, it fouls on the lower for brace so going to have to think up of a solution to that, wither start chopping or go with a smaller front tire which its a 3.5" and currently have 4". 

ZOwQlBr.jpg

K8O9uUK.jpg

Cant wait to get it outside as cameras don't love my workshop lights. 

Just waiting on swingarm and headset bearings to arrive early next week hopefully and then the wheels can go on and I can see what it really is going to look like. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

been super slack with this thing due to blowing up my 86 and wanting to get that fixed again. 

made up a numberplate bracket still not completely sold on it will probably re make it, mounted u the moto gadget bar end indicators and rear button indicators 

also few up and water cut out a new top plate for the forks with inbuilt brackets to hold my new speedo. 

so many little bits and pieces still being done that you don't see anything of, still waiting on a my 3.5" front tire to arrive before I can put the front brakes on. 

so far I have bought 3 different headlights and don't like how any of them look on the bike.

QCCS8I0.jpg

got my carbs and anything else aluminium on the bike vapour blasted and re built then with new gaskets and seals, also pulled the top ends off the motor and put new gaskets and seals In everything in there just while it was apart. 

yIYwWqZ.jpg

aGJG83z.jpg

• Like 8

On 12/08/2020 at 18:20, Kimjon said:

Whats your plans for the tank? Thats not a loaded question, just curious if you're going to pin stripe, or lay down some racing stripes/numbers or something?

just an FYI for dudes who havnt seen the tank in person, it is wayyyyyyy more mustard / lush in person. for some reason it photographs really yellow, particularly in unnatural light.

• 3 months later...

Small update, 

been tinkering away tidying up afew bits and pieces on this thing.

new tank badges, peanut valve covers

mounted the battery under the bike between the mufflers 

motogadget rear view mirror 

and afew other bits and pieces that i cant remember. its really starting to come together now few small bits of wiring to go and it will be ready to ride 

8dkhHt1.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

i was struggling to figure out some electrical issues with this thing so send it to Kane at r twin works and he worked his magic and also balanced and tuned the carbs and made everything work as it should. went for my first proper ride and it bought up afew issues i need to fix.  (i really need to take photos that aren't at my workshop soon)

vik72BS.jpg 

i had to add more brackets to my rear triangle anyway so am going to have to get that re powder coated but thats no biggie

also i have to make a new mount for my numberplate bracket too. 

I mounted up the rear guard today which came up nice. am waiting for my front guard to turn up. 

YbsVP3u.jpg

LjoFaIA.jpg

need to try and get a wof hopefully then hopefully will be chopping it up again and i'm going to build some stainless high pipes 2-1. i am attacking a 7 day or so ride down to the brass monkey smashing a bunch of gravel and just taking this places i probably shouldn't be 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

today i bought a build your own exhaust system kit 

aVEjhU4.jpg

i'm going to build a high pipe setup 

really wanting to run a twin pipe the whole way to the back but i am struggling to find nice mufflers that aren't huge and look like they are just straight bits of pipe like so. the other option is just to deal with it and get some good ear plugs.

55ymvlK.jpg

if worst comes to worst ill get another stainless muffler and go 2-1 and work from there. 

like so using a random china muffler i had laying around. 

C6UUtps.jpg

• Like 2

FYI.

When I first built my CB I had 4-2 pipes and just put some little dumpy bends on them. The WOF inspector agreed that it didn't seem too loud, but failed me anyway because the VIRM specifically requires a muffler/baffle/silencer of some sort. I had to put some tiny wee baffles in the end of the pipe to appease him.