Toyota R15X sharns

Valiant

I have the same slave in both my celicas and its really the pressure plate that dictates whey master you use. Cast remember the sizes of the top of my head but the JZ master is smaller then the UZ.

I used a wilwood compact master which comes in different bore sizes. Made it easy to change and get the pedal feel how I wanted it

• Like 1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread, gotta say I love the Val!

As far as I can see your cheapest option would be a T5.

The reality is that when you budget for a custom bell-housing/adapter plate, flywheel, spigot bearing, clutch plate, pressure plate, driveshaft, front yoke, custom rear cross-member and mount, speedo drive, manual pedal cluster, clutch master & slave cylinder (with plumbing and fabrication),.........etc......and etc..... the reality is the cheapest part of the build budget will be the initial purchase of an outdated, old 80's gear stack.

To add insult to injury from a drivers perspective the T5 is legendary for it's slow, mushy & notchy feel; I've run a few in tarmac rally cars (even one with a TVR X-Trac cluster) and all I can say is I'm just being "been there done that" honest.  

In your initial post you described the car as being "a bit dull".

Can I suggest a similar budget would cover a rumpty cam,  a Fitech injection carb, a higher stall converter and maybe in the future a quick shift g/box kit. I'm picking the old Val would feel like she'd been given a big dose of steroids? 

• Like 1

Motor already has a cam.

The "dull bit" (hes exaggerating there by the way, it swings O's harder than anything else I've ever been in)  is the three speed tranny. More.gears would make better use of it's already ample torque. Plus as a fella who lives out in the country, a taller open road cruiser gear would reduce fuel consumption, and make the ride more pleasant for those inside it

• Like 1

Thanks @RUNAMUCK. you obviously enjoyed our post Hanmer detour.

@sr2 cheers for your input. I I have a pretty good handle on the required fabrication and plumbing side, there is a manual pedal box waiting in the garage, I'm expecting to spend on a bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, and drive shaft it is what it is.

I've had cars with factory T5s and I'd agree with your statement about the shifting. They were good as a factory installation but I wouldn't go out of my way to fit one.I also wonder about the strength of one behind a 383. 

The car has everything you've mentioned except EFI, it's not the car that is dull and more the transmission, I just really like manual cars. My other Valiant has a W50 that I installed and it really made the car %100 nicer to use. I'd like to achieve the same thing here.

IMO a properly set up and tuned carb 11ty billion times nicer than those bolt on throttle body efi set ups. Throttle response for a performance engine is often sub par. And they have a tendency to run poorly and foul plugs if stopped and started 

24 minutes ago, JustHarry said:

IMO a properly set up and tuned carb 11ty billion times nicer than those bolt on throttle body efi set ups. Throttle response for a performance engine is often sub par. And they have a tendency to run poorly and foul plugs if stopped and started 

Sure you're not comparing a well setup carb with a badly setup EFI? 

We've run them on a number of motors and would never go back to carbs. Latest conversion was on a 383 Dart Smallblock in my brothers Targa car, once it was dialed in the improvement in driveability and performance was impressive. The funny thing was the Go EFI FiTech was cheaper than the aftermarket carb it replaced!

• Like 2

Same levels of technology as 3.9 ea falcons and TBI 305 chevys 

IMO they are designed to be cheap and easy for Americans to bolt on.

Putting an ecu where all the heat and vibrations are seems like a recipe for failure as well 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

I've heard mixed reviews about them too. Plus they're American, so probably not as good as a multipoint with a link and a decent tune.

Might return better fuel.economy than a carb though.

But do you really drive a car like the one in question for it's great mpg?

2 hours ago, cletus said:

Same levels of technology as 3.9 ea falcons and TBI 305 chevys 

IMO they are designed to be cheap and easy for Americans to bolt on.

Putting an ecu where all the heat and vibrations are seems like a recipe for failure as well 

The Achilles heel of the EA single point injection was the archaic Denso ECU, the actual throttle body setup wasn't bad at all. I fitted one a few years back to a Holden Red powered Landrover bush truck  with an early Link (fuel only). The improvement over carburetion  was pretty impressive,  they put the thing on its roof and the motor kept running - to the point where it it ran the main bearings (sometime you can get too smart!). An interesting fact is that the stud pattern of the EA throttle body (Ford called it a 'TBI') is the 'same' as a DCD or DGV Weber, great for aftermarket injection upgrades.

Don't get me wrong; for an aftermarket ecu I'm an SM4 Autronic man, (just fitted one to our LS powered Alteza race car) but I've been very impressed with the performance and reliability of FiTech units under extreme endurance racing conditions.

I do however have no experience with the Holley variant, would love to hear from someone who has hands on experience.

All modern cars come with a plethora of electronics mounted to the engine, I suspect that with modern manufacturing techniques the effects of heat and vibration are well under control.

45 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

And with a link driving it, it made that pinto go hard for what it was. ..

The only Pinto I can lay claim to have experience with was a stroked  2.4 with a twin cam Holbay Cosworth head attached to it, I ran a SM4 on that as well. Have to give Randell Edgel full kudos for the engine dyno work, there's a reason why the man is a legend! 

13 hours ago, JustHarry said:

Some of the bolt on efi carb replacements don't have the ability to store the "learned" map developed during closed loop operation if power is disconnected - remove the battery and its back to base map until it's run a few cycles to relearn. 

4 hours ago, cletus said:

20190901_124705.jpg

This was so good. 

He is living in the future!

As a certifier what's your take on the gearbox cross member in the picture, apart from being mega fugly. It looks like the two inboard mount holes have been moved out?

Edit: Got a link to the gearbox pic source?

I think the pics were from www.forabodiesonly.com 

I just did a google image search for "sb mopar toyota transmission " or something like that 

I'm not a big fan of that crossmember,  the fact it has the holes closer together would put more stress on a part that is quite thin in that area