johnnyfive

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

Oh, hey, 1 year. 
Have not been up to much, though have done a minor amount to the 250.
Tyres and wheel bearings, front forks freshened up, front and rear pads, clutch plates and cable, speedo drive replaced, chain and sprockets, replace damaged original headlight with pretty convincing UFO copy, Brazilian seat cover (which kass kindly fitted) and tank cover (to hide the yellowing tank) and fender tool bag, set of white bar guards, aliexpress big footpegs.

51007495363_993d7c1467_o.jpgIMG_20210306_183151 by John Bell, on Flickr

51008309167_cb267a5356_o.jpgIMG_20210306_183217 by John Bell, on Flickr

Things I'd like to do still, purple sticker for above headlight and sidepanels, possibly pull swingarm and rear shock and look at doing bearings. 

Still trying to figure out if getting it registered is viable, as I understand, due to the new ABS rules, and this being a '1st time' registration it won't be possible after a certain point later in the year (or possibly already isn't).

Oh I picked up an XR100 recently also, its a bit of a sack of shit, so will start collecting parts.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, johnnyfive said:

Oh, hey, 1 year. 
Have not been up to much, though have done a minor amount to the 250.
Tyres and wheel bearings, front forks freshened up, front and rear pads, clutch plates and cable, speedo drive replaced, chain and sprockets, replace damaged original headlight with pretty convincing UFO copy, Brazilian seat cover (which kass kindly fitted) and tank cover (to hide the yellowing tank and fender tool bag, set of white bar guards, aliexpress big footpegs.

51007495363_993d7c1467_o.jpgIMG_20210306_183151 by John Bell, on Flickr

51008309167_cb267a5356_o.jpgIMG_20210306_183217 by John Bell, on Flickr

Still trying to figure out if getting it registered is viable, as I understand, due to the new ABS rules, and this being a '1st time' registration it won't be possible after a certain point later in the year (or possibly already isn't).

Neat bike, I may have some relevant info as I'm currently trying to do the same.

Was it sold new in NZ or imported?

Also

From 1 November 2021

All current model new motorcycles and imported used motorcycles over 125cc must have ABS.

All current model new motorcycles and imported used motorcycles up to and including 125cc must have ABS or CBS.

• Thanks 1

Have you run the vin/chassis number through Landata? Give VTNZ, Vinz or anyone you know with access, might be something there already.

If not you'll probably need to use the Alternative Documents form (ca03) regardless of it's origin, this form is for when you are missing documentation.

If it was sold new here and you hopefully can get a letter from BlueWing confirming this and that it is a street legal model then you'll be away laughing but minus $184.

Mine was an import and not sold here so I needed an exemption from having the export certificate and to show proof it was a street legal model.

Yeah vin number isn't in the system, blue wing were a little ambiguous with what they were willing to say. Might still be sufficient but need to hurry up and actually try it sometime.

"Blue Wing Honda have imported and distributed new motorcycles into New

Zealand since 1973.

We cannot confirm that your 1995 XR250RS with the VIN Number

JH2ME0697SM000024 was imported by Blue Wing Honda.

This VIN number does fit within the VIN range (JH2ME069*SM000001~)

imported by Blue Wing Honda.

We can confirm at the time of new sale this motorcycle would have met all of

the required regulations in order to be able to be registered for on road use,

therefore should be able to be re-registered at this time.

An inspection of the motorcycle may be required to confirm the vehicle is in

near original condition."

That looks pretty good tbh, seems to say they don't have record of selling that particular bike but it's within the bunch they imported which is very good.

There's a few other bits and pieces required like declaration of ownership and another declaration involving it's condition (both stamped by a JP), a confirmation of chassis and engine numbers (done by a compliance person at vtnz/vinz) and then any other crap you can provide, the more the better (this was advice from the nzta team themselves), like the sales ad, emails or text convos with the seller, picures of the bike, any documentation you got with etc. 

It's a bit of faff but seems like it should go through easy.

Only thing I'm not sure of but will find out soon I guess, is that once you have approval to register it it might need a Pre Delivery Inspection before Vtnz/vinz will proceed, sounds like its basically a check dealerships do on new vehicles but can be done on used ones, it's just not common but have read of people achieving this.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So bought a very rough CRF50 near the start of 2020. As is tradition, threw a bunch of AliExpress parts at it, and badly painted rusty bits. It probably wasn't safe sitting around here as I was riding it round the lawn at every opportunity. Have lent it to my nephews until my boy is big enough or they get sick of it.

51150144348_47591f9241_o.jpgIMG_20200213_183639 by John Bell, on Flickr

51151017980_1ae0475bb8_o.jpgIMG_20200426_151544 by John Bell, on Flickr

• Like 6