Springs vs shocks

yetchh

8 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Dude the hilux shocks always seem good on paper as they are short and have the right ends for heaps of applications. But every-single-time they ride like shit, they are valved for real high truck spring rates so behave like concrete shocks on normal cars. Think there was recently a GX60 guy on here who had hilux shocks, bounced down the road doing fuck all suspension things until he changed them, I tried them back in the day and they are toilet.

^^ This. 

We once used a set of very similar shocks in the back of an E30 BMW 316i track hack. It rode really weirdly and had a too much rebound control, which would cause the car to ratchet down in the rear and hold itself in a squat position. Something similar will be happening in your car - when you go over a dip or bump the shock won't be letting the wheels drop, so there's no travel to soak up that energy. 

What length are the shocks? They look pretty similar to an AE86 shock, so you might be able to find a good replacement (hopefully with adjustable damper too). 

For the buick I tried all the shocks but never got the valving right for the 2" dropped springs. I was lucky that you could get custom adjustable fox shocks for the impala off the shelf that worked, boom problem solved every bump is soaked up and caught no bounce. I would be shelling out big coin these days and getting fancy shocks for anything old I owned as cars that ride like shit make me hate them eventually. (can get fox shocks made for any combo)

For toyota shit the only off the shelf winner combo was MR2 rear shocks in the front struts, I could never make other fitment rear shocks work and stay captive (on live axle things). I ended up getting stock or fancy ae86 shocks shortened for like 3 different cars in the end, just did a dodgy with old mate vvega and chopped the shaft down and welded on a new end, just don't tell anyone.

• Like 4

This seems to be the rear shock that AE86 guys use: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kyb-743019 - also available on Rock Auto. 

You might need to do some research to check the length will work for you. AFAIK that's the same shock that Techno Toy Tuning sell for AE86 applications. They'll be better than a Monroe, but still aren't a high end shock. 

There should also be options in Bilstein, Koni etc and you could also look at getting a pair of shocks-only from Fortune Auto. 

• Like 1

Yeah just eyeballing them the body is much longer than that hilux shock, stock 86 shocks were too long for lowering most things (crown or waka). Just get someone with a lathe to shorten them up and keep it on the DL for a cheapish solution (I have no idea on legality).

• Like 1

Might struggle to go soft enough as the hilux is probably spec'd for twice the weight or something silly? If it's only the rear that is the problem, i'm sure you'd be able to source some from a car of similar size.

/beaten

• Like 1

For sure, there is a big market for AE86 gear, so could be worth a look there.

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ae86/trd-short-stroke-shocks-ae86-corolla-adjustable-damping

Just one example, you'd have to look up specs for those and compare to what length is needed etc. And nothing that works well is going to be all that cheap. Budget will play a big part in options. If going cert you can get adjustable length and dampening shocks. Just spendy as, does the trick though*.

*I haven't driven on mine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spencer said:

Shocks that are short enough for a lowered live axle car plus have the valving and end types you want are not that common TBH IRL.

The answer is always Bilstein, and it's not even that spendy really. You can generally buy what you want, then have it valved how you want by the appropriate dealer.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Snoozin said:

The answer is always Bilstein, and it's not even that spendy really. You can generally buy what you want, then have it valved how you want by the appropriate dealer.

This is good advice. I've had a few sets of Bilsteins rebuilt and re-valved by Anthony at Race Shock Services in Auckland ( https://raceshocks.co.nz/ ). If there's a Bilstein option for rear of a Hilux you could easily grab a set (new or used) and get them revalved to suit your car. Just make sure the rebuilder has a clue and you'll be sorted. 

If you give Anthony a call, he may even have something in stock to modify for you. Bilsteins are cool because you can shorten the body and the shaft to get whatever length you want. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cletus said:

@yetchh if you bounce the back of the car doest it rebound slowly? 

Not really.. Just feels normal, compared to the front its a little softer. It only moves about 25mm with me bouncing it, not that it bounces. 

If it feels softer than the front and it doesn't rebound slowly, its probably not the shocks being too stiff that's causing the harshness, it may just need a stiffer spring and a more squishy bump stop  

My van does similar crashy harsh things over big bumps and it's got a similar setup by the looks of it. A shorter shock from the front of a 4x4 which is a lot stiffer than the stock ones, a bumpstop that's short and flat, and a spring that's a bit soft  

• Like 1