Mechanical Speedo to Pulse output trans

Kiwibirdman

The 4L60E auto box that i have for the Holden has the pulse out put for the speedo and no mechanical drive. I would like to keep the original speedo in the car, what have other people used. There are converters that are available, speedbox for example, but they cost about $350 US. Is there a better option or do I just have to suck it up?

• 2 weeks later...

the 4l60e and vt ecu requires the speedo input to control the transmission shift points and also idle control on deceleration, without it you'll be stuck in limp mode, the sensor is a hall effect to the ecu, the ecu outputs a scaled pulse to drive the speedo,  the 2 common ones iv used for conversions are the dakota unit and, the speedhut speed box (alternately could go speedhut electronic speedo or similar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.classictransmissionsolutions.com/700r4-speedo-electric-to-mechanical-conversion-kit-convert-speedometer/

doesnt help the ppm to ecu problem, but theres other was you could do that, like this https://shop.classicinstruments.com/sn78sm

tail housings with both mechanical and electronic speed sensors are available but at about $600

less mucking around to get the dakota unit

• Like 1

Yeah as the guys above were saying, even for a skilled electronics type person making something like that dakota box would be insane. Like hundreds of hours, hundreds in parts then it would break. Gotta pay the boss costs to have nice new trans in your old whip.

I have got 3-4 different dakota bits for fans, cruise control etc over the years and they are top notch.

• Like 2