Anglia4's Bucket Bike

anglia4

I'm terrible at taking photos of the fun I'm having with this bike.

But I finally remembered to turn my gopro on, so have had my first ever go at editing a video.

The quality came out a bit shit. I suspect I need to buy the full version of the software I used.

@MopedNZ is about to get some messages asking for tips :thumbleft:

• Like 2

In the first couple of races in that video my bike was running a bit shit. It had 3 different issues going on, the ali-express air filter was choking up the carb, the carb to head manifold hose clamp had stripped out and was leaking air, and the fuel tank vent was crimped over...

I sorted all those out and threw the air filter in the bin, and the bike was 100% more rideable. I could carry a higher gear in all the tight turns which meant I could brake later and harder. I had a great afternoon.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

3.jpg.c25ab949da188fc7f5357d927a6a40f4.jpg

2.jpg.5a55e4e8a944f5ebf27adb8c3c17dc8f.jpg

1.jpg.db5cbb6314cfea2afa717d98f4dff53d.jpg

That was a bit of a fuck up...

This was a few weeks ago now. Entirely my fault. The bike behind hit me square in the back which hurt. Nothing serious though, and the bike is fine.

Aiming to attack the first round of the North Island series in Taumaranui next month.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Bike has been going great.

I didn't get in as much racing last year as I would have liked on account of having another baby and renovating our house.

Last weekend was my first outing since september.

We had one of our best turn-outs with 14 bikes, which made for some really great racing.

I got 2nd in the first race from 2nd place start.

2nd in the second race from starting near the back. Reeled in the young fella that was leading to where I could have patted him on the bum as we crossed the finish line.

Then the third race... Started on the 4th row. Leading by the end of the first lap. Then one of our real gun riders got past me under brakes, then made a mistake and I got him back. Thinking "I've got a second chance here, I need to brake a little later so he doesn't get me again"... I did this:

And that was the end of my day.

And the end of that helmet, and the tail fairing, and levers, and clip-ons...

The end of that straight is 80km/h, and I didn't get any braking in at all before I hit the ground.

Definitely earned a few bruises, but the physio already seems to have fixed my knee with some needles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm just about to hot-up a TF125, I was planning on blocking the reed valve port, what did you use to fill the cavity? I'm thinking of cutting-up a block of nylon, to fill the cavity up to the inlet port floor, plus include the shape of the reed block so as to keep up crankcase compression.

Regards, John Orchard

The Crank case compression change is something I didn’t think of. I never got this running with as much stoke as I would have liked.

I filled the port with Knead-it. It seemed to work haha. In hind sight, I think I would try the new port timing with the reed port open too if I was doing it again.

Just to update the thread as well.

I managed to beg borrow and steal enough parts to get it back together again for the next race day after the big crash.

Its got an RS125 style tail on it now, because that's what I could steal from dads shelf. I actually think I like it better.

The new clip-ons are on a slightly different angle to the Honda ones, so have to re-learn the muscle memories, which is mildly annoying.

I need to find some time to paint the new tail and get some new stickers made for it.

1276680431_Bucket1.thumb.jpg.60c257b2b0299a528c97c500afdeb89d.jpg

• Like 1

On 08/05/2022 at 18:30, anglia4 said:

The Crank case compression change is something I didn’t think of. I never got this running with as much stoke as I would have liked.

I filled the port with Knead-it. It seemed to work haha. In hind sight, I think I would try the new port timing with the reed port open too if I was doing it again.

Nah, I think the reed port has to be blocked so to keep the 'port inertia' up for better filling. I am looking for a 1976 RM125 cylinder, same base gasket, they have a 2mm larger pin but that's cool I'll use a TS piston. If I can't find an RM cylinder, I'll get a TS125ER cylinder, looks to have more meat around the inlet port?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Long time no update.

I haven't been riding much, just been busy with life. Still been involved quite a bit with stewarding etc though.

The last few months I've made a real effort to get the bike out a couple of times, just done a couple of half race days along with my stewarding duties (which is ok cos I'm a bit unfit on the bike at the mo).

One thing that has really been bugging me is how slow I've felt on the bike, I've felt very rusty and not confident, and as we have no timing, can't tell if I'm slower, or everyone else is faster. Back in my teenage years when I was racing Karts, I had an alfano pro, which measured rpm, lap times and head temp. The lap times were really handy, cos if you were getting clobbered, you could look at previous times and see that you are actually going as fast as you ever have, just the other guys are going even faster.

Company | ALFANO

I picked up an old one of these and have had it on my bucket bike to monitor the head temp when I had the 2-stroke engine, but since going 4-stroke, its only ever done rpm. They use a sensor to detect magnetic strips in the track for lap timing, and have to run pretty close to the track to pick it up, so I have never been able to make it work on the bike.

I've been thinking for ages about how to try and mount it to work, and came up with this:

bike4.thumb.jpg.943d63fa89e001d3064f9f50d66a6211.jpg

Note the shiny new lower fairing (with sneaky lap timer hiding inside). Its off an RGV150, made up a few brackets and painted it white, and bobs your uncle, now I have lap times on the dash!

I also re-painted the tail and made up some new numbers with my wife's cricut machine. I'll re-do the numbers as they didn't quite come out at regulation height, and as the steward I feel I need to lead by example, as much as I can't be bothered...

Bike2.thumb.jpg.601659d3fbb07b49fc66dc403907594d.jpg

• Like 2

I also did a deal with @Itchybear and now I own this:

bike1.thumb.jpg.8c7d43bdd6130536af3eb6a1cc31cb29.jpg

Its another FXR150. Purchased for reasons that will become clear later on.

I took it out to the track yesterday for a quick test, it hasn't been run in years and the fuel was rotten as. Stunk out my pit box for the whole day :( Anyway, gave it an impromptu carb clean and it was away. Needs a tune up, but its quite nimble and handles a bit better than my bike I reckon. I think having a much lighter engine than the CBR250 donk means the springing is a bit off on the castrol bike, so I might have to play with that now that I can measure the lapspeed.

bike3.thumb.jpg.96bdb86cf06d188070e0faeb0df3afaf.jpg

• Like 5