Moped electric conversion

djotter

I am looking to convert something like a Honda C50 or Yamaha V50 to electric, and I am looking for advice.

If I want to ride it on the road as a commuter to work, I'm guessing i'll need compliance certificate before registration? I'm hoping @cletus is happy to chime in because he would be my closest LA class certifier. :smile:

I've had a read through the LVVT docs and as long as it stays under 50km/h and under 60 volts it should be ok? Anything else to design in?

I have a bunch of lithium batteries that I can build into a right-sized pack, and still need to decide if I use a hub motor or a centrally mounted one.

But before I go spending any money on a donor bike or motor, what do I need to know?

NZTA says a moped needs to be registered and entry certified. Is it a big deal to re-register if I find a de-registered donor? Working examples can get quite pricey.

Thanks!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, xsinclairx said:

If you can find a c50 donor get it registered then do what ever you want to it like all the Lifan swap guys do. 
I recall seeing a bolt in kit to convert c50s advertised somewhere. 

Shanghai Customs. Pretty spendy but solves a lot of the issues. 

• Like 2

On 10/02/2020 at 14:59, h4nd said:

For basic movement: at what speeds, for how far? That'll help tell you how much power you need (watts), which tells you how much voltage/amps you needs, and how much  energy you'll need store (Watt hours).

I would like it classed as a moped to keep costs down, so 50kmph.

Home to work is 10km, so 20km return each day, urban only.

I have seen Aliexpress kits for a reasonable price, 1000W or so? I have read they can be a bit gutless and want to keep up with traffic at a green light. No real idea on if this is a suitable power rating. I have also been to Haynes Engineering and found a few options in scrapped forklifts for motors (1-2kw).

I have 300 18650 cells, but would probably grab the best 150 or so and buy extras to make up the right voltage and cell C rating to match the motor.

9 hours ago, cletus said:

Kerry Buchanan is a certifier in Auckland who specializes in bikes, and can cert an EV conversion as well, so he would be perfect for your project @djotter

Perfect, thanks!

23 hours ago, xsinclairx said:

Also this would be better in the general bike chat forum! 

You're right, I shouldn't have jumped straight to a project subforum. My apologies.

• Like 1