The Red Rocket needs shocks

ThePog

My daughter just bought this as her first car;

PJW6RYy.jpg

Cheap as chips, goes really well, everything works. Stoked.

The only thing it needs is a set of shocks all round, and during my enquiries it one supplier said there were either 18mm or 20mm depending on the model. Does one of you smart fucks know what the difference is so I can check and get the right ones...?

98, AE111 chassis. 4A-FE 1600 for all the powers.

• Like 1

Is that supposed to be the shaft diameter? Can't caliper it? Failing that you can probably cross reference the genuine part numbers on one of those ToyoDIY.com sites with the frame number / details. Odd they would have different options as the engine weight difference would be marginal really. Unless they are confusing superstrut options or sway bar diameter lol.

• Like 1

Yea I haven't even looked, I kind of assumed it was the shaft diameter, but I guessed there would be a foamer here who would know off the top of their head. If I know for sure what it is I can order with confidence...

Maybe the 1.8 engined ones have bigger shafts, fuck knows.

Gabriel M55999 front struts for Corollas of roughly this vintage are $12.17 NZ on Rockauto at the moment. Sure there's some freight and Jacinda tax to pay but that's not a bad starting point. If they only last a couple of years she will probably have bought something else by then anyway.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Righto, I have measured the shock shaft diameter = 22mm

I also have some KYB part numbers;

Front Right = 334176

Front Left = 334177

Rear Right = 334178

Rear Left = 334179

The pricing seems a bit extortionate, basically $250 each from Autolign. I can get some Ultima brand for $160 each.

Anyone got any advice on sources/sweet hookups?