MRWEST

MRWEST 52 Chev Pick up build

Recommended Posts

Got to work ordering a heap of bits for it which eventually turned up from the states.

New front bonnet badge, side bonnet badges, new tail light brakets and glass lense, new side mirrors. Front indicators (didnt have any)

IMG_20191223_142839_resized.jpg

IMG_20191223_152104_resized.jpg

IMG_20191223_193857_resized.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starter wouldnt work when we got it, turns out the solenoid thingymebob for the pedal start was worn asf! 

Started doing the 12V conversion, fitted new alternator

20191223_222020_resized.jpg

20200107_172449_resized.jpg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearly forgot took it for its first drive to the end of the road before we pulled it apart after a tow start down the drive.

Couple of final photos before it got pulled down

20190831_154727_resized.jpg

20190915_123402_resized.jpg

20190915_123345_resized.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started pulling it apart ready for rust repairs and new timber deck etc. Front clip comes off as one piece which can be manhandled difficulty off by yourself haha

Project Disucssion thread link

20190923_201956_resized.thumb.jpg.2b2c6414fc0c6000c5902edabfc8136b.jpg

20190923_202114_resized.jpg

20191001_190706_resized.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next up was get stuck into the rust.

Managed to find a skilled older tradesman who was keen to tackle it. And also keen to let me come and help him which was awesome.
Learnt a heap of new skills and was epic watching him hammer and dolly out the dents.

The front drivers side door had swung round and stoved in the corner of the cab as well as bent the door at some point. The yanks must of tried to bang the dent out from behind via piercing holes in the inner guard to put a bar or something through to hammer dent out from the inside (unsuccesfully) it ended up leaving a heap of holes for water to get in which in turn rusted the bottom of the inner and outer cab corner out.

The rear cab corner also needed replacing on the same side, outer only. 
Had a bit of rust around one tail gate hinge to fix as well.

Apart from that she was solid as , floors and doors and guards are good as!

Next up was get stuck into the rust.

Managed to find a skilled older tradesman who was keen to tackle it. And also keen to let me come and help him which was awesome.
Learnt a heap of new skills and was epic watching him hammer and dolly out the dents.

The front drivers side door had swung round and stoved in the corner of the cab as well as bent the door at some point. The yanks must of tried to bang the dent out from behind via piercing holes in the inner guard to put a bar or something through to hammer dent out from the inside (unsuccesfully) it ended up leaving a heap of holes for water to get in which in turn rusted the bottom of the inner and outer cab corner out.

The rear cab corner also needed replacing on the same side, outer only. 
Had a bit of rust around one tail gate hinge to fix as well.

Apart from that she was solid as , floors and doors and guards are good as!

 

20200229_114338.jpg

20200305_103708.jpg

20200305_153154.jpg

20200307_130710.jpg

20200314_142426.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seat wouldnt move backwards and forwards so pulled that out and cleaned up all the sliders and got that working again.

Also spot welded new bed angle strips on the side of the tray as the old ones were rusted out.

Gave the panels a good bang with a hammer and dolly and straightened them out a heap! Gas welded up any splits or breaks in them as well.

20200307_130703.jpg

20200307_155532 (2).jpg

20200312_163249.jpg

20200314_142438.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New speedo cable, wiper blades and now shes ready to go for a vin.

Off in the morning.

Also just got this today, bit of a drawing got done for the mrs xmas present haha turned up a bit late but shows the sorta look we going for this long term.

FB_IMG_1589958843911.jpg.46cd909bbdff2cbaec8c1c5a521e02bc.jpg

Yarn away

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting through the list quite nicely.

- Secure LH Interior door handle (had fallen off)
- Front park lights not working
-LH Headlight dim
- Aim RH headlight correctly
- Wipers to work (Will prob do 12V Conversion
- Secure RH exterior mirror (loose)
-Replace broken piece in exhasut and mount muffler
-Secure fuel line
-Replace rear brake hose and hard line
-Repair petrol leak at pump
-Repair cert sign off for rust repairs
-King pins
-Play in drag link

Half way through doing King pins, got one side done, the other side is being a right PITA. have been soaking it with CRC last few days.
Need a couple of fittings to fix the brake related things which ill hopefully get today and then we will be away with that.

Just trying to sort a 12V electric wiper conversion for it currently, nobody in NZ seems to have stock..

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.