Rb drifters' rusty old 82 L200

rb drifter

Okay like always I haven't been on here for quite some time, so here's what I've been working on the last two years or more. So here's a few posts hopefully in order all at once....

Purchased this sweet L200 off westley, I think hes on here, another mitsi buddy.

Was rolling body, didn't look too bad rust wise but whole reason I bought it was because I'm a sucker for twin round headlights

This is where it started

20190331_004945.jpg

Discuss here... 

• Like 2

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably first thing I did was convert front end to 5 stud using L300 van hubs, why? Because I had a sweet collection of 5 stud wheels.....

Also managed to swap the flat deck tray for a decent condition welside tray, which I was stoked on 

Also found my mate had an L200 laying in his padock so went and raided any decent parts I could

And started stripping things back for rust repairs..... yay!

IMG_20180617_125506_658.jpg

IMG_20180826_221555_469.jpg

IMG_20180711_074054_731.jpg

• Like 5

Decided to remove cab from the chassis as chassis needed some love, made it easy for rust repairs on the cab too

Please note this was my first ever attempt at rust repairs too so go easy on the judgement 

With the chassis I wire brushed it back, covered in crc rust converter, and brush painted smooth black hammerite on it. Why? Because the quote I got from the sandblaster was way out of my budget... 

Also got my leaf springs reset almost flat, got 3" tapered blocks, new bushes too

Also took a L300 van diff, these are wider and 5 stud, cut the mounts and shifted them to suit L200, put a later model L200 lsd in it too 

Here's a photo dump....

IMG_20190821_201431_015.jpg

IMG_20190814_194517_117.jpg

• Like 2

So with it being rolling body, I purchased the red L200 deregistered with good running gear. Turned out to have a fairly decent dash too which was sick!  Also kept the bonnet and original tail gate off this ute as the purple tray had a shaved tailgate which isn't my cup of tea

The white L200 in pics was one we used for padock bashing, it supplied alot of rust cuts, mint grill and a few other goodies. 

So so far theres been 3 parts vehicles used but I had trouble finding a tidy passenger door, so I ended up with a 4th, a 4wd deregistered one which I bought just for the door. Ended up raiding the bench seat, interior trims and a few other bits off this one too. Am parting it out if anyone needs anything too

Decided to make my own doorcards using Mexican blanket style material, ados glue, a stapler, and some m6 bolts/ rivnuts off wish and MDF packing sheets I get for free from work.

Turned out okay, this ute ain't no show pony so it's good enough. 

Also test fitted the dirt scooter as that's the whole reason I'm building this ute

IMG_20191229_184344_043.jpg

• Like 6

So with the wider diff I've had trouble getting wheels to fit, my mate has lent me some 14x7 pro stars which fit but the 215/70 tyres will be replaced with 185/60 tyres. Eventually I'll get diff shortened so I can fit 14x8s but that's out of budget currently. 

Also was always planning on running air shocks in rear but beach hop is getting closer and my goal is to drive there legally kinda so pinched some good condition monroe shocks out of the 4wd parts vehicle for the mean time. 

Did a few little bits like fill up diff oil, new shock bushes, fill gearbox oil, spray undercoat under the gaurds. All the little things that are kinda important. 

Forgot to add earlier that the motor I had in this I swapped into my lancer, so I took the old lancer motor, (4g63 sohc) did a gasket set, another head, and valve grind etc.  And got it to start as of yesterday but will not stay running so my guess is its something to do with ignition circuit. Will leave that to my mate josh to investigate as I'm no good with electrical shit but it started which is chuuurrrrr

20200201_155828.jpg

20200127_212120.jpg

• Like 6

So no big progress, just ordered a whole bunch of parts I need off rockauto, then ordered my brake parts locally so I can return if they're wrong. 

Also have a mate that works at repco so checked the availability of castor rod bushes online and they had 20% off or something so $85 ish, decided I'll go in and see what price I could get them for, mate wasn't there but other guy told me $110...... I just told him that's ridiculous and walked out. Went back today and my mate sold them to me for $45, goes to show how much mark up nz business are doing and why most of us buy from overseas instead... 

Also test fitted a 185/60 on a 14x7 to see gaurd clearance, not 100% sold on it yet. Definitely will need a different ratio for diff. Perhaps 175/65 would be better? 20200207_181358.thumb.jpg.e369a1acbe7c02f579bc9f026b2ae930.jpg

Also scored 3 of those wheels above for $40 but unfortunately they're slotted so if anyone knows of any for sale message me

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Have been struggling to find time to work on this project with work getting quite busy but good things have happened...

My parts from rock auto have arrived

Now just need to pull finger and get this doneburgers 

Only real progress I've made is purchasing steel brake line for diff and bumpstops from pick a part. One of my lower arms had a stripped nut for where the shock bolts on so removed and welded a new one on. And apart from that I've done bugger all

20200212_180240.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stayed up way past my bedtime to get some rear brakes sorted. New shoes and cylinders, drums are still mint but will paint them just because....

Also installed the brake lines on diff, realised I'll need a longer rubber hose for chassis to diff being L300 diff in a L200 theres slight difference. And forgot to get a new bleed screw so will sort that asap

20200217_221111.jpg

• Like 5

Managed to get abit more done two days in a row!

Just some small things, steam cleaned and painted my brake drums and lower arms. Fitted new balljoints and bushes to lower arms and bolted those pups back in.

Tested a different spring, suzuki escudo springs I cut to be captive but they're slightly softer then the original L200 springs. 

And lastly I put the new swaybar links in! 

Nothing too spectacular but it's all the little things thatll make it fly through a wof check hopefully 

20200218_184447.jpg

20200218_201450.jpg

• Like 2

Bit off topic but this is what narrows down my workspace in the shed, currently used as storage it's my 82 lancer gsl that I've owned since I was 18. It's the car that's waiting for me to get this ute legal so it can have some attention.... 

Used to have a project thread for it but it's gone these days. Has currently donated some engine parts etc to getting this ute done which is how it has sneaked into this thread 

20200218_185048.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

We will begin this with "work sucks"  because I end up doing 15 hour days consecutively but would much rather be in the shed.

But working gets me money to spend on this so i keep going back....

Somehow In between adulting and sleep therapy I have achieved very little progress

Front end is complete again, new tie rods, balljoints, bushes etc. Rear end has l300 bumpstops as my cut ones would let tyres rub. Broke the bank and bought new tyres 185/60r14 goodrides and we have dropped it back on the ground 

Ordered new front shocks, gearbox mount, waterpump and bosskit so playing waiting game again. 20200228_230156.thumb.jpg.2aae61aa575929ed568d1231c87a1843.jpg

definitely getting nervous about getting this ready for beach hop as its basically 3 weeks away and I still have alot to do.....

• Like 3