04 Hyundai elantra - starting issue

rusty360

So with the wife's old daily. Some times it wont start due to I've worked out the fuel pump not  running to prime the system or running to supply pressure. Turn the key off and on it primes and pumps up like normal. Doesnt happen every start just now and then. 

Any ideas? Has never cut out or stopped once running.

Fuel pump has been replaced, I'm thinking it could be the relay?

The mrs vtec crx developed in intermittent fault like this. Apparently they were prone to developing dry joints inside the fuel pump relay. (It was hidden in an impossible location, I could hear it, but not see it) pulled it.out, and resoldered them and it never gave trouble again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNAMUCK said:

The mrs vtec crx developed in intermittent fault like this. Apparently they were prone to developing dry joints inside the fuel pump relay. (It was hidden in an impossible location, I could hear it, but not see it) pulled it.out, and resoldered them and it never gave trouble again.

It must have been quite big then? I'll have a looky at this.

1 hour ago, Ranter said:

Have you tried both keys? Next time it doesn't prime check for security light on dash.

Quite common for Hyundai security system to play up basically the main reason the older ones won't start that I've seen.

Very interesting? So the light on the dash should go out? Or stay on when trying to start?

Light stays on, doesn't sound like the problem because usually they just won't start.

Normally if it is the fault you can just hard wire the plug to immobiliser and it solves it, if it doesn't you don't want to know what Hyundai want for a new module and keys programmed.

• Like 1