Sunbeam Imp 1969 Michael0008

michael0008

Soo plan is to get the motor going again ,found out its a mk1 motor so has the average engine with shit head so need to find a mk2 head
then either look at hotting this motor up with possible a little supercharger and a blow through carb or do a motorbike engine swap 1000cc or up :geek:

any thoughts or suggestions? don't know too much about these imp motors

• Like 1

We've already chatted on Facebook. I'm no expert on the imp engine. But there is a shit load of information out there on them and between the imp forum (join up to get all the info) and frankas imp site there ain't much you can't find out about. 

Great little engines and I'd happily run one but my Datsun engine works so sweet that there's no need. 

I'm really glad someone from oldschool managed to nab this little car.  Looking forward to a great thread. Now if only we can entice some of the other kiwi impers over to post up their cars. .. ;-)

• Like 3

I saw this on trade me recently. There is a guy on facebook who converted his with a BMW motorcycle engine. I think he produces parts for others to convert theirs. I was a member of the group for a while but not now. Shouldn't be hard to find it again with a search. Good luck with it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tiger Tamer said:

I saw this on trade me recently. There is a guy on facebook who converted his with a BMW motorcycle engine. I think he produces parts for others to convert theirs. I was a member of the group for a while but not now. Shouldn't be hard to find it again with a search. Good luck with it.

That would be the go . Was he nz base? Pulled imp head off last night and one head bolt snapped in block...:-x

• Sad 1

Back in 2009 I wrote this on the Imp forum...

Re: Alternative modern Engine swaps?

Post by yoeddynz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:27 pm

well ive been looking at k100 engines from bmws- i dont know which way they rotate but i'll find out- looks good though.

(insert old photofuckit photos that aint there any more)

and i think it would be fairly easy to cut off the bell housing and tig weld something to bolt up to tarnsaxle. would have to look at one up close.

Heres some info....

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... s%2083.htm

hmmmmmmmmmm
  • Haha 1

I looked further into it, got a haynes manual and got excited. Measured up my mates bike in the UK.  Came back to NZ and started building the housetruck/rotorising the Viva. That put an end to Imp stuff for ages.

In the meantime a fella in Scotland called Clark Dawson ran with the idea and ended up with a successful conversion. He then went on to getting parts cast and machined and has since had many kits made up. I think he has passed that conversion onto another outfit. Its not cheap at around $2k and you have to wait until there's enough people wanting for them to do a run of kits.

It really is about the most perfect engine for the Imp. Weighs about the same as the imp engine, lays flat, with the kit it just bolts up. starting with 90 bhp up to 125 depending on the bike you source. Wires in easy. Looks and sounds fantastic.

I've been keeping a look out for a cheap bike but so far they've beyond what the moths in my wallet want to spend. Im still keen and would do my own adaptor parts , more just for the fun.

I'll send you a link via facebook to the page  you can join...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...