Impulsive 4wd trip - Friday 3rd

NickJ

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So fresh email just in with details on how to get key etc, $20/truck and sign in on key pick up.

Current weather forecast is shit but possible, i'll be going no matter the weather but prepared to turn back.

18 hours ago, Mof said:

Avoca.jpg.f8e52c2013794143443357e468d3e4e4.jpg

Spot the Samurai 

@EpochNZ, you still in on this? 

<sigh> The perfect storm unfortunately....opportunity might exist to visit parents before we contract something that might kill them so might have to do that instead.

That pic had me questioning that decision however.

On 18/03/2020 at 09:00, NickJ said:

Checked the map, headwaters are further off the devide than I thought, worst of the rain will be through sat night at this stage, I agree, no worries

Saturdays looking kinda drizzly and cold. Might just sleep in the back of the truck.....

This little rain wouldn't have made the river any bigger ? @NickJ @Mof

2 hours ago, JustHarry said:

Saturdays looking kinda drizzly and cold. Might just sleep in the back of the truck.....

This little rain wouldn't have made the river any bigger ? @NickJ @Mof

Today's rain is just on the east coast, will have little effect on the river.

Tomorrow, the rain is set to start late morning with heavy falls from midday, this will make the river come up considerably.

My current preference is to leave town 8am, hit the river about 10am and make efficient time up to the top crossing, hopefully at the hut by midday as the rain hits, there is about 1-3 hours of lag from the onset of heavy rain to the river rising so that is a little extra up our sleeve.

If it at all looks like shits getting out of hand, turning around and heading home or camping on the riverbank will be in order.

I quite enjoy being up in the hills for a good storm, so keen as to at least try, if we have to turn around 100m part the first gate, then thats OK, we'll rebook the key and try again.