Impulsive 4wd trip - Friday 3rd

NickJ

Yeah, but when the doc hut is 8 hours walk in, it doesn't see much traffic, i'll still be camping though.

The gate is locked to vehicles as the track is across private land, just have to book the key in advance from the station owners.

• Like 2

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good head and being honest with your abilities is far more important than any $$$ on 4wd gear.

As long as we have a toolkit, highlift and a few different tow options we'll be sweet up there.

I'm all keen for a day of river crossing, working on waterproofing the Niva and need to do some testing, have no idea of whats local to chch

1 hour ago, JustHarry said:

These should be satisfactory?

Fronts are only 10000lbs each dunno about the back

@Mof

Yeah those will be sweet. Can you get a rope/strop eye over the hooks? Cut the tip back a bit if you can't. Check the bolts are at least 8.8's. I don't know what your rear bolts are, they look like oem bolts, they've held up so far but if it was mine I'd change them. 

• Like 1

Am keen to do some day/afternoon pesting somewhere.

Wheres somewhere good to spend a couple hrs pesting around. Rivers/tracks the likes.

@NickJ @Mof

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

A good head and being honest with your abilities is far more important than any $$$ on 4wd gear.

As long as we have a toolkit, highlift and a few different tow options we'll be sweet up there.

I'm all keen for a day of river crossing, working on waterproofing the Niva and need to do some testing, have no idea of whats local to chch

Selwyn river, very soft pea shingle, let tyres right down and be prepared to get stuck. 

Ashley river upstream of rangiora, the more upstream the better.

Waipara river, up or down from sh1, drop in at sh1 bridge. Not allowed to go any further upstream than Stringers road bridge. Down watch out for shingle extraction, they make deep holes sometimes. Can go all the way to the beach. I usually get out at double corner road.

Waimak, sort of around Intake road area, off old west coast road 

Always stay away from willow trees, they make deep soft holes under the water 

And I always go at least two vehicles. Only by myself if I know the area very well and am confident I can dig or winch and ground anchor out

• Like 1

Oh right.

Sounds good.

Will have to go buy some 4wd type stuff in preparation 

You'll be right with what we've got. I can show you some gear while we're up there if you like, so you don't end up buying a bunch of junk 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mof said:

Selwyn river, very soft pea shingle, let tyres right down and be prepared to get stuck. 

Ashley river upstream of rangiora, the more upstream the better.

Waipara river, up or down from sh1, drop in at sh1 bridge. Not allowed to go any further upstream than Stringers road bridge. Down watch out for shingle extraction, they make deep holes sometimes. Can go all the way to the beach. I usually get out at double corner road.

Waimak, sort of around Intake road area, off old west coast road 

Always stay away from willow trees, they make deep soft holes under the water 

And I always go at least two vehicles. Only by myself if I know the area very well and am confident I can dig or winch and ground anchor out

Do a afternoon's pesting somewhere?

Where would be best for *cough cough* no lift and goodride mud tyres 

Dont know about logistics of avoca. So close to nats. Gotta save hard.

But would be keen to just get a feel for the truck.

I can pretty much drop everything and go whenever.....single life/no commitmemts

4 hours ago, smokin'joe said:

would my L/C80 get in there without lift/snorkel/muds ?

can easily swap winch of Scrubby for assistance

I can't see why not, the river is easily crossable at Coleridge in normal flow, Mof should be able to give better guidance though, I've never been up there.

From all the research i've done its just a farm track but if you're really creative i'm sure you'll find an excuse to need winching

• Like 1