Impulsive 4wd trip - Friday 3rd

NickJ

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DoBro Jesus said:

Damn, would have been keen but I've left all my shit I have to get done for the holidays for this weekend haha. 

Come be a responsible, normal adult and leave them even longer!

Leaving town just before 8 ;) 

Well, glad I made a recon trip before committing to a longer few days out, the river has cut right against the true left about 10min from the diversion and flows at the usual brisk pace, watched two trucks cross in bonnet deep water, spoke to one who commented it was on the limit of what they were comfy with and there were two more mandatory crossings further up.... Yeah if I had to, I would rate 80% chance of success, but neither of us wanted to drown trucks. Retreated back to lake Coleridge for a pleasant picnic in the willows, lovely sunny day up there, weird to drive back into mist and rain on the plains.

IMG_8271.jpg

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JustHarry said:

Where is this?

Top of lake Coleridge, pretty sure Mof has been up there before to give a better description, from what I understand its more of a farm track than challenging 4wd expedition.

There is a doc hut that you can drive to the door, plan to camp there the night, yarn, drive home.

^this

It's an awesome piece of country 

I'd say a 4wd expedition, but not challenging if you don't want it to be. 

Some of it is in the riverbed so it can be a bit of a pick your way. Not a problem though, river is not deep, follow the leader and you'll be fine. I can teach you guys how to read Canterbury rivers too if you like. 

It'd be nice too if your vehicles had good recovery points too, (not the factory tie down points) the front can be tricky, but the rear could get away with taking off the tow ball and I'll stick a big shackle on it. 

Doc hut is the Basins hut, 6 bunks I think. Hopefully it's empty. There is camping around the hut.

Across the river is the original hut, dirt floor and sack beds.

We can mission up the river too and see how far we can get. I know where a good hill climb is, and a few bog holes. Should be fun. 

• Like 1